7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Dano, BTW, the action I am using is from a 670, 30-06. I bought it for 349.00. This gun I believe was a closet queen.
My first 280 was a 22 inch barrel, and I always wished it was 24. My uncle built one from a 721 Remington action, that thing is awesome. I wouldn't have a problem going 26, or maybe even 25. The rifle has a blind magazine, and I may let it stay a blind magazine. They are stiffer at least.
But yeah, I know what you are saying about the off hand shots. There are two long action , non magnum cartridges that really are the cream of the crop, and that would be a 25-06, and a 280. I now have a 25-06, with a lifpttle coaching from " the Bean", and I love it. Now I'm going to build this 280' and just want to make the right decisions. Once it's cut, well, that's what you get! Thanks buddy!

Bob.

Nothing wrong with a 670, just like a post 64 mo 70, just a little more nuts and bolts. They do have ugly stocks so that would have to go.

My good friend and gunsmith hunts with a .280 Rem, He built his completely off of an Argentine Mauser 98, Built the rings and every thing. It's a beautiful rifle. He just loves that cartridge and has taken deer to elk and caribou with it. It's truely a great round. His has a 24" bbl.

Dan

Nothing wrong with a 670, just like a post 64 mo 70, just a little more nuts and bolts. They do have ugly stocks so that would have to go.

My good friend and gunsmith hunts with a .280 Rem, He built his completely off of an Argentine Mauser 98, Built the rings and every thing. It's a beautiful rifle. He just loves that cartridge and has taken deer to elk and caribou with it. It's truely a great round. His has a 24" bbl.

Dan
Yup, that stock is fugly for sure, but at the heart is the action. What years did they nke those. I remember them quite a few years ago. They are sort of a ADL Remington . Plain Jane , but functional. The stock is being exported to North Carolina.

STW guys or we may lose our following. If 7mm bullets go to 195 grains should we be ordering 1x8.5 barrels?

Why not! I'm the one here promoting heavy for caliber bullets, If I rebarrel or build another 7stw, I'd get a faster twist, mine has a 1-9" but I'd love to try the 195s.

I also have been thinking of an Improved version with a 40 degree shoulder, I know it's a touchy thing wanting to mess with the perfect case, but why not??? Be something to kick around.... especially if one could get their hands on some RWS or Norma .300 H&H brass, would be a perfect way to form them up.

Dan

Oh yeah, sorry for going off the main path, kinda easy thing to do....... I'll try to keep it on the 7stw.... ;)

I was hoping someone could help me, i have a 7mm stw sendero it is a 26" barrel.
can someone tell me please what load i can start on with 162gr a-max bullets. The barrel has a very long freebore so i cant get the bullet to the lands.The other big problem is only somchem powders is available and i think S365 is the right powder.but somehow quickload does not work with my 7stw, for instance i get 3163,3166,3169 ft/sec with 73.2gr s365 powder. the water capacity for my cases is 99.7 gr.
what would you suggest i start the seating depth.

TMOS
I've found that A maxs usally like just touching or 5 thou off the lands, your fps sounds about right and if it is accurate I would not change a thing.
I'm not familar with your rifle powders but I've found ADI 2225/Retumbo worked well with my 7mm STW with 162gn A maxs and if you can find a powder with an equvilant burn rate you may get up to the low 3200fps max?

STW guys or we may lose our following. If 7mm bullets go to 195 grains should we be ordering 1x8.5 barrels?

Yup, Ed, you are right, and I apologize for ramblin' about " other stuff" , but I value opines here in the hood, even if the subject isn't STW related.
As far as the 8.5 twist, I thing that is realistic. I don't know what weight the 1-9 twist will stabilize to, but I so think that 195 is out of it's range. That thing must be 2 inches long.
P/S, did you get much snow Thursday? Take care, and Happy New year.

I was hoping someone could help me, i have a 7mm stw sendero it is a 26" barrel.
can someone tell me please what load i can start on with 162gr a-max bullets. The barrel has a very long freebore so i cant get the bullet to the lands.The other big problem is only somchem powders is available and i think S365 is the right powder.but somehow quickload does not work with my 7stw, for instance i get 3163,3166,3169 ft/sec with 73.2gr s365 powder. the water capacity for my cases is 99.7 gr.

TMOS

TMOS, I really like the 162 A Max. I don't know how to compare the SOCHEM powders to the powders we use here the US. I have used RL22 with that bullet, and others, and got just short of 3200 fps. I believe my charge was about 75.5 to 76.0 using the rl22. If you have a conversion to powders used here, that may help you figure it out. I do feel that you do not have to use the slowest burning powder around to get the 162's to shoot. Awesome combination, 162 AMax, sendero, and 7 STW. Bad Hombre!!!!

TMOS

Reloaders nest has a burn rate chart with most US domestic and international powders.

Link: Powder Burn Rate Comparison Chart @ www.reloadersnest.com

s365 appears to be too fast which is why your quick load is listing such a slight charge, it is not a good candidate for the STW case. They list two other powders slower than s365. They are s371 and B-12.5

s371 is just a tic slower than our IMR or H4831 and would be a better choice for a 168g bullet.

B-12.5 is very slow and similar to our US-869 which is a powder used in artillary applications and in rifles only the heaviest of bullets in truely overbore situations. It's not a very good rifle powder at all.

I don't know if these two powders are available to you, but look them up. Not sure about charge weight. Check your quick load for that.

Are you in South Africa? Last I heard of Somchem powders was from a fella in S. A.

Dan

For the STW and the 195 heavy bullets, I would think that a 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist would be needed. I just wonder what that would do to the lighter bullets? Would you have trouble with the 140's and 150's? i know that Barnes says that the new 168 gr LRX needs a 1:9 barrel, but some have been shooting it here with good results.

As for the Winchester Model 670, it was the more bargin rifle that they had. I believe they were made from 1966 to 1979. The stocks are very fugly. For a 280 build, I would go either 24" or 25" for the easy carry. For this, I don't think you would gain that much with going longer. As for stocks for this gun with the blind mag, I think Boyd's has some on sale right now.

And what about the 30-06? With the new bullets and powders, this round is better than ever. It is just as versitile as the others in the family and has more hit once there. For the 300 yard range, it is great. I know that the 7mm bullet has better SD and BC than most 30 cals that can be used effeciently in these two, but it is still a great round. I bought mine mainly for mountain carry, M70 Featherweight Stainless.

For close in deer work, I have a M70 Featherweight in 7mm-08 in a laminated featherweight stock. This is also for when my kids get bigger. I know that I will have to get another, possibly a M70 243, as I have 2 kids.

Oh ya, also a M70 Sharpshooter Laredo in 7mm STW. Guess I like the Model 70.

Bob, we got buried, about 14" but so fast. Our first snow, I'd love to be deer hunting, I don't know why our hunting season is so short? Snow is great for tracking if needed you know. Good luck with the 280 ai.

Reloaders nest has a burn rate chart with most US domestic and international powders.

Link: Powder Burn Rate Comparison Chart @ www.reloadersnest.com

s365 appears to be too fast which is why your quick load is listing such a slight charge, it is not a good candidate for the STW case. They list two other powders slower than s365. They are s371 and B-12.5

s371 is just a tic slower than our IMR or H4831 and would be a better choice for a 168g bullet.

B-12.5 is very slow and similar to our US-869 which is a powder used in artillary applications and in rifles only the heaviest of bullets in truely overbore situations. It's not a very good rifle powder at all.

I don't know if these two powders are available to you, but look them up. Not sure about charge weight. Check your quick load for that.

Are you in South Africa? Last I heard of Somchem powders was from a fella in S. A.

Dan
The beautiful thing about the 7stw is that IT CAN make use of the slow burners like the 50bmg class powders. With a 175 grain bullet 86 grains(start 10% down if the powder is unknown to the rifle) of I 5010, wc872, or rl50 will net 3K fps out of a 24" barrel or 3050-3100 fps from a 26" barrel with good accuracy in most cases. I'd use the slow burner if it's that choice or a couple of too fast choices that won't fill the case up well.
As far as seating depth, I'd go to mag. length first and try it as that will net you more capability that only single loading. If you have to get close for accuracy I'd give it at least .050" clearance as you want SOME run to the lands on something overbore like the 7stw.

Did I just read win 670; I killed my first mule deer buck 20 years ago this year with one in 30-06. Dang good rifle but a barn door with a scope for sure.

etisll40-- we've been getting a dusting to an inch a day for a week or so here in ND. The roads are getting bad(icy) and I'm having a hard time justifying putting my Volt on the road as I'd rather play bumper cars with one of my trucks. Have a good one.

The beautiful thing about the 7stw is that IT CAN make use of the slow burners like the 50bmg class powders. With a 175 grain bullet 86 grains(start 10% down if the powder is unknown to the rifle) of I 5010, wc872, or rl50 will net 3K fps out of a 24" barrel or 3050-3100 fps from a 26" barrel with good accuracy in most cases. I'd use the slow burner if it's that choice or a couple of too fast choices that won't fill the case up well.
As far as seating depth, I'd go to mag. length first and try it as that will net you more capability that only single loading. If you have to get close for accuracy I'd give it at least .050" clearance as you want SOME run to the lands on something overbore like the 7stw.

Lefty,

Sorry if I was unclear. I didn't mean that he couldn't use the somchem B-12.7. I was refering to the US869 for the most part.

I've fired the US896 out of my STW and there was no accuracy at all. He just doesn't have much of an option for powders where he is at. Hopefully he can get both powders and give them both a try. Not sure what else can be said....

Dan

Lefty,

Sorry if I was unclear. I didn't mean that he couldn't use the somchem B-12.7. I was refering to the US869 for the most part.

I've fired the US896 out of my STW and there was no accuracy at all. He just doesn't have much of an option for powders where he is at. Hopefully he can get both powders and give them both a try. Not sure what else can be said....

Dan
The 50 bmg class powders are like a light switch in my rifle; either the pipe likes them or they puke. My rifle likes rl33 and rl50, but hates wc872. My last 7stw liked aa8700, which is basically a canister 872. I'd like more I5010, as that powder is good vel. wise and usually can be made to shoot rather well. When it's time for fertilizer though, it's time for fertilizer; you can't burn bad powder when it's oxidizing the brass and bullets, as they could fuse together from corrosion. I was just a bit peeved when I lost a keg of 5010 to my lawn a couple of years ago.