7MM RUM??

260shooter

It seems as though the 7MM RUM died around 2013 before the advent of heavy for caliber bullets and powders slow enough to take advantage of the big 7"s case capacity. The reloading manuals I have looked at either use my Grandpa's bullets or give a total number of a whopping 4 powder's.

My question is, with todays modern bullet's and powder's what are realistic velocities from eighter a 180 ELD-M or a 180 Hybrid target from a 26" 9 twist barrel?

Real world experience would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, when I had mine the slowest powder we had access to was 7828 and I took that last barrel off well before powders like Retumbo, H50BMG or N570 were available.
I would guess using powders this slow would gain between 50-150fps, but this is a WAS at this point. Mine had a 8" twist even back then, but the factory barrel was 9 1/4" twist which lasted 600 rounds.
I got high velocities with 175g bullets, 100fps faster, with RL25 when it came out. No other powder then could match it in several magnums.

Someone must be shooting one with 195's and slow powders here.

Cheers.

Long barrel and us869 would probably get any of the 190+ family flying faster than 3k, slightly faster for 180s

Total case capacity is 93% of the Lapua mag, so performance will be congruent

If you're looking at the RUM for long range (ELR, ULR) I'd go straight to the 195gr Berger EOL or the 197gr MatchKing.

And with the case capacity and heavy bullet weight, I'd be looking for RL33 or something in that burn rate.

It seems as though the 7MM RUM died around 2013 before the advent of heavy for caliber bullets and powders slow enough to take advantage of the big 7"s case capacity. The reloading manuals I have looked at either use my Grandpa's bullets or give a total number of a whopping 4 powder's.

My question is, with todays modern bullet's and powder's what are realistic velocities from eighter a 180 ELD-M or a 180 Hybrid target from a 26" 9 twist barrel?

I'd feel safer with more twist for the heavies, likely 8.5 minimum.
But I'm +130MSL

I have the samt twist I believe 1/9 or so .
I dont think the barrel will like anything past the 180 gr mark .
Mine is a factory Remington 7 Rum .

Rum Man

Morning, mine likes the Rl 25. I'm also using Nosler Accubonds 160gr. Do not use the Nosler ABLR. They won't give you a consistent group unfortunately. It also likes super clean barrels. About every 8-9 rounds,