7mm PRC, are you happy?

I really need to get mine chambered. Barrel is sitting in the office along with my ADG brass.

A member sent me some solids to try out since I'm running a 7 twist barrel for that purpose. Maybe my buddy will have time in the next couple weeks we can get on his lathe to spin it up.

One of the guys we regularly shoot with is getting almost 3000fps with H1000 and the 180 Berger hybrids in his 7PRC.

I've got a pile of 195 EOL's, but I'm not sure how they'll handle in such a fast twist barrel.
With a 7 twist, were you planning on using HH or some other Mono? Just curious to know.

If the OP is building a rifle mainly for nilgai, I suggest you step up to .30 caliber. Some guides require 300WM as minimal.
(But the 7 PRC seems like a great cartridge and I'm having one put together currently.)

What problems did you have with the scope? if you don't mind me asking.
Not to hijack the main topic of this thread but. I went by recommendations from a friend that is a guide in Arizona and he spoke highly of Huskemaw. Where I messed up I didn't fully research and not a fan of the 1/3 MOA clicks. I'm still trying to figure all this long range shooting stuff out but sometimes when people try to explain MOA/Mils I feel like I'm listening to the teacher on Charlie Brown. But 1/3 clicks would be my only complaint.

Ok ya they are basically a mill scope. If you want to use a solver and dial just order a mill turret from them that's the best way I have found. Or order a custom one for your load then you wont even notice the 1/3 moa.

Not to hijack the main topic of this thread but. I went by recommendations from a friend that is a guide in Arizona and he spoke highly of Huskemaw. Where I messed up I didn't fully research and not a fan of the 1/3 MOA clicks. I'm still trying to figure all this long range shooting stuff out but sometimes when people try to explain MOA/Mils I feel like I'm listening to the teacher on Charlie Brown. But 1/3 clicks would be my only complaint.

I'll never understand why they would manufacture 1/3 clicks, particularly on a LR scope. At a moderate 600yds, that would get you 2" per click. Most accuracy nuts want better. My Nightforce has 1/8moa clicks which I found rather handy for LR groundhog hunting.

I'll never understand why they would manufacture 1/3 clicks, particularly on a LR scope. At a moderate 600yds, that would get you 2" per click. Most accuracy nuts want better. My Nightforce has 1/8moa clicks which I found rather handy for LR groundhog hunting.
Target shooters maybe but many hunters use mil scopes that are .36" per click. Gets you there quicker with less clicks.

hahaha, gotta go about 500 miles south, near Corpus Christi, TX
I've almost run over Nilgai in the dark pulling my boat to the Kaufer Hubert ramp. I hear there's a piece or two of S Padre and nearby spoil islands where you can hunt no charge. I never researched it enough, but seems like between 9 Mile Hole and Port Mansfield. Gotta watch out for rattlesnakes though.

I've almost run over Nilgai in the dark pulling my boat to the Kaufer Hubert ramp. I hear there's a piece or two of S Padre and nearby spoil islands where you can hunt no charge. I never researched it enough, but seems like between 9 Mile Hole and Port Mansfield. Gotta watch out for rattlesnakes though.
I would be interested on a Nilgai hunt on Padre, does anyone have any info on this?

I would be interested on a Nilgai hunt on Padre, does anyone have any info on this?
To my knowledge, having lived 30 years in TX and spent over 20 years becoming intimately familiar with Baffin Bay and the LLM, there are no outfitters for such a hunt. It's a local knowledge expedition. Due caution as to PINS boundaries and King Ranch shoreline are pre-requisites.

Last edited:
Just left the range, I'm repeating sub .5 moa with n568 and 190LRHT, Fed 215m.
ES 5-10 with multiple seating depths, at the same charge weight.
Temp is about 15 degrees lower than last session.
2900fps

If I told you the neck interference and seating force you'd find it hard to believe.
Don't be afraid to go tighter is all I can say.

Just left the range, I'm repeating sub .5 moa with n568 and 190LRHT, Fed 215m.
ES 5-10 with multiple seating depths, at the same charge weight.
Temp is about 15 degrees lower than last session.
2900fps

If I told you the neck interference and seating force you'd find it hard to believe.
Don't be afraid to go tighter is all I can say.
Maybe I missed it, are you crimping with a Lee FCD?

Recent Posts