7mm PRC, are you happy?

I'm happy with my 7 PRC, the caliber has a very broad application. I also wish there was a heavier (than 160gr) Accubond in 0.284 diameter. I have some 175gr ABLRs loaded, but it will be a few weeks before I can try them out.

I do think the 7mm SAUM is the most efficient 7mm there is, but when I was at a decision point, I could not find brass.

don

I was skeptical at first and had a few problems when my 7PRC rifle was first built. However, yesterday I dropped 3 162gr ELD-M bullets into 3/4" @ 400yds. That sure made me a believer in the potential of the 7PRC. Overall, .5 moa has been regularly achieved.

FWIW - I was testing with Fed 210M primers yesterday, instead of the 215M primers I normally use. Sds were running in 1-2 & 3s which is well below what I was getting with the 215s. Velocity dropped about 40fps, which is fine with me. Group size depended on the load. Some shot smaller with the 210Ms while others were slightly larger.

Last edited:
Talking about the right capacity, I ran some 190LRHT at 2940-2955 with " slow" n568 a few days ago. Zero pressure marks that would make me rewind, on a hunting gun. It was 90* at least when I was shooting.Im liking it. Spent half my 50yrs carrying a 7RM, one of the first models Remington made in SS.
The PRC is a worthy performer, thanks in part to ADG and Peterson.

There's a thread on Rokslide about factory ammo: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/7-prc-velocities-factory-ammo.309226/

This is what I was getting out of mine:

Seekins Havak Element 22" barrel + brake

Federal 175 ELDX - 2930 average 10 shots
Hornady 180 ELDM - 2780 average 25 shots
Federal 170 Terminal Ascent - 3010 average 10 shots

ELDX shot the best for me around .5 MOA, Terminal Ascent was about .62 MOA, ELDM was .75ish

Edit - probably around 50 rounds total down the tube, these will get faster.
Thanks for the link. I forgot about Rokslide

Shoot what's best for you and your rifle. They are all great cartridges and will accomplish your goals. I guess the discourse is addicting while wearing our feelings on our shoulders. Down fret, send it!

I hunt Nilgai with 212 ELDX in 300 PRC and 28Noer with 195 Berger EOL. I haven't had one walk off with either. I prefer the heavier/faster bullet for Nilgai. I have a 7 SS that shoots the Berger 175 EH at 2900 fps. Not my rifle for Nilgai