7mm PRC, are you happy?

Buzzsaw

Looking at one for my next rifle. Nilgai primarily. I don't have a boomer, just a 6.5 Creedmoor. Those of you who shoot one, would you do it again or go another route? Oh, so far I'm not planning on reloading for it as I will not be shooting it a lot. So, factory offerings will be for me.

There's a thread on Rokslide about factory ammo: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/7-prc-velocities-factory-ammo.309226/

This is what I was getting out of mine:

Seekins Havak Element 22" barrel + brake

Federal 175 ELDX - 2930 average 10 shots
Hornady 180 ELDM - 2780 average 25 shots
Federal 170 Terminal Ascent - 3010 average 10 shots

ELDX shot the best for me around .5 MOA, Terminal Ascent was about .62 MOA, ELDM was .75ish

Edit - probably around 50 rounds total down the tube, these will get faster.

Gun is just a few months old, no real world hunting experience yet. I think factory offerings are going to start getting much larger. I see Federal Fusion Tipped, Remington Core Lokt Tipped, and Norma Bond Strike will have ammo available at some point this year.

I have a 6.5 PRC, and shot an elk with it last year very successfully. I bought this gun on a whim, in the back of my mind I wanted 'more horsepower'. I don't regret it, its a cool round, pretty good accuracy so far with the few factory offerings I've shot. I know I will really like it when I pack into the backcountry this fall (sub 8#s scoped).

I definitely question why not just get a 300WM, or even a regular 7RM? Recoil isn't far behind 300WM and energy is just slightly under. Dozens of more factory offerings, for half the price. If you're a true 'long range hunter', the extra BC on the long 7mm's are sweet. Anything under 500, 7RM, 7PRC, 300WM, hell even a 6.5PRC will get the job done just fine. Definitely a significant difference in recoil between my 6.5PRC and 7PRC. It doesn't bother me personally, but it might bother others. 6.5PRC rifle is also over 1# heavier.

I'm extremely happy with mine, not extremely happy with the Huskemaw I chose. I brought it to Arena last year for the 1 day NRL match. The day before the match a couple of guys helped me work on my range card from 250 out to 1250. I probably won't use it again for Whitetail as the front shoulder of the exit was pretty much destroyed. The recoil is minimal IMO. Like another commenter I am going to try the Federal 175gr ELD-X and see if velocity numbers are more consistent. I looked through my Hornady Precision Hunter 175 ELD-X and have 4 different lot numbers. Some is the original powder and some are the new powder.
IMG_8397.jpeg

Looking at one for my next rifle. Nilgai primarily. I don't have a boomer, just a 6.5 Creedmoor. Those of you who shoot one, would you do it again or go another route? Oh, so far I'm not planning on reloading for it as I will not be shooting it a lot. So, factory offerings will be for me.
There ain't no Nilgai in Frisco. Is there? 🤣