7mm Mashburn Magnum versus .300 Win Mag

pig ranch deadeye

Both are fine long range rounds, and neither one is ridiculously over-bore. The 7mm Mashburn with a 175 grain Nosler Partition is balistically quite similar to the .300 Win Mag with the 200 grain Nosler partition. In a Remington 700, Winchester Model 70, or Weatherby Mark V either one can be loaded with the bullets seated out long to free up powder capacity. Which is better?

7 will shoot flatter and at distance get there a tick sooner, (assuming both leave at same speed) but the 300 will hit harder being is 25gr heavier. The 7's barrel will not last as long as the 300. powder usage is about the same. the 7's brass is a lot more $$ where as the 300 you can get at walmart if needed. What is your intended purpose for the rifle? If you plan on hunting only....get the 7 if you want to use it for target, hunting,etc you may want to consider the 300winny.

just my thoughts.......

You can buy an obsolete wildcat with no factory ammo and no resale value, that does nothing several factory supported 7 mags will or a 300 WinMag that has 1000s of proven loads, factory ammo of top quality, 100s of rifle options as well as a huge choice of used rifles. Guess I don't understand (outside of the cool factor) why this is a difficult choice.

I understand and no reason not to. I own a bunch of odd balls. 7X61 S&H, 22-06, 400 Whelen, 44 Russian, 455 Eley and so on.
The 7mm Mashburn has plenty of neck and just the right powder capacity, about five grains more than the 7mm rem mag. It really is sweet. I have been handloading since 1963, and I appreciate a round that is "just right."

5 gr more powder in a case that large, run at the same pressure in the same length barrel cannot make any significant difference.
If you have one fine (like my 7x61) but there are plenty of factory supported 7mm from 7x57 to 7mm RUM that will meet any conceivable need.

If youve wanted one since 1963, I would say your wait should be over!! but like Privi said very little support for that cartridge, and that was one of the reasons I moved away from it. Build a really nice custom 7mmSTW and should be in the vicinity of the Mashburn for speed. Its your money, time etc, if you WANT one, buy one!! you deserve it Im sure;)

If youve wanted one since 1963, I would say your wait should be over!! but like Privi said very little support for that cartridge, and that was one of the reasons I moved away from it. Build a really nice custom 7mmSTW and should be in the vicinity of the Mashburn for speed. Its your money, time etc, if you WANT one, buy one!! you deserve it Im sure;)

THANKS! I appreciate your comments. I once had an STW with a 28 inch barrel and to me it was overkill. Too much powder. The Mashburn with only four or five grains more than the 7 rem mag is, in my opinion, just right. Just right for Retumbo or Ramshot Magnum and no need for compressed loads. Maybe 100 or 150 fps more than the 7 rem mag, but reasonably low pressure. The longer neck fits the cannelure on the Rem 175 grain core-lokt bullet without the bullet sticking down below the neck. And it is only a one pass procedure on the press to make the Mashburn case from .300 win brass. The little things make the Mashburn a cool round for the practical guy.

I say build what your heart wants.
I just built another custom 264WM, couldn't get the rifle I wanted, so I built one to MY specs. 8" twist 29" barrel and tapers from 1.250"-1.00" at the muzzle. Not a carry gun, but will do what I want it to.
Also has a 7STW barrel to turn onto it. I'm looking forward to hunting with this gun.

Cheers.

Is there more modern 7mm variants that perform the same or similar that are more readily accessible for the the non-reloader or someone who wants the just in case I need to buy ammo at Bass Pro? Yes, absolutely. That being said it's a great cartridge that in my experience shooting a buddies Ruger #1 chamberbered in 7 Mash by his grandfather Bob Hagel was a absolute pleasure to shoot and capable of exceptional accuracy and shouldn't be over looked, especially if you have wanted one then you certainly reload and know what you are getting into. Modern bullets and barrels with faster twist make it a great long range cartridge. I say build one and don't look back!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts