7mm build

Just the load tables and the real world velocities produced by shooters.
I haven't seen where the STW is passing the Nosler, especially when shooting the heavies? Links?
I'm not trying to offend. I'm genuinely curious if the STW is out doing the nosler? I don't see it, on paper or what seems logical to me, in my head, or by the case design of the two, even with nearly identical capacity. And the "cool factor" doesn't increase performance of any cartridge. Stickers are cool on race cars, but it doesn't make them any faster.

I realize not everyone has a hatred for the belted mags but here's what I dislike;
I've had issues with really tight bolt closure when sizing off the shoulder after several firings, the case can expand just above the belt and requires more dicking around to size correctly.
The 7mm Rem mag has more case capacity, and is less efficient than a wsm.
My buddy has a 7mm rem mag that I've been helping him load for and he's had so many issues getting that thing to shoot consistently that he's calling it quits and getting a new rifle.
Sorry if this offends the belted mag guys, this is just my experience.
Do a little reading and you'll see I'm not the only one, my point is if you don't have to shoot a belted mag then why do it.....

If you are having issues closing the bolt, then I would think that would be a sizing issue, not an issue with the cartridge choice. Maybe you aren't bumping the shoulder back enough.

My M700 / Krieger barrel 7 mm rem mag will shoot sub .5 moa out beyond 600 yards.
Sounds like your buddy may have an issue with his specific rifle, or you guys just haven't found a load his rifle likes.

There are no inherent accuracy issues with the belted 7 mag.

If you are having issues closing the bolt, then I would think that would be a sizing issue, not an issue with the cartridge choice. Maybe you aren't bumping the shoulder back enough.

My M700 / Krieger barrel 7 mm rem mag will shoot sub .5 moa out beyond 600 yards.
Sounds like your buddy may have an issue with his specific rifle, or you guys just haven't found a load his rifle likes.

There are no inherent accuracy issues with the belted 7 mag.
I believe this is the issue I was having.
http://www.larrywillis.com/answers.html

I haven't seen where the STW is passing the Nosler, especially when shooting the heavies? Links?
I'm not trying to offend. I'm genuinely curious if the STW is out doing the nosler? I don't see it, on paper or what seems logical to me, in my head, or by the case design of the two, even with nearly identical capacity. And the "cool factor" doesn't increase performance of any cartridge. Stickers are cool on race cars, but it doesn't make them any faster.
Nosler inflated both their BC's and Velocities as a regular part of their marketing program.

They are close in performance as I said but I have yet to see any real world data showing the 28 is outperforming the STW.

What I have seen is that under otherwise identical circumstances the Nosler tends to run just a little slower than the STW by 25-75FPS depending on the gun.

Last edited:
I believe this is the issue I was having.
http://www.larrywillis.com/answers.html

Maybe it's just me but I've never used anything special for resizing belted magnums.

I shot the 7RM for over twenty years and loaded for it with a cheap Lee Collet die system.

When I first started loading for the STW RCBS was the only company producing dies so I went with them. After getting sick of RCBS's decapping problems I went with Redding.

I now use Redding for the STW and 300wm and have no problems getting five or more loadings per case without any sticky bolt issues or case head separations just above the belt.

Yes, eventually they will get thin and begin to crack but with no higher frequency than the non belted cartridges I shoot. More often than not the first sign of failure appears at the neck, not the belt.

Thinking of building a 7mm to use the Berger 180's or 195 EOL's. Going to primarily use for S Texas long sendero shooting but also will be packing it out west. Thinking of using a Proof 26" 8 twist to stabilize the heavy bullets. Not tied to a specific caliber. Looking at a Bighorn TL3 long action to be able to have the option to switch calibers at a later date if wanted.

Thoughts on cartridges?

I'm a lover off most all things 7, and a BIG fan of my 7 STW. BUT, (don't get ****ed fellas) if the criteria is for a packable, lightweight 7 with excellent shoot-ability (aka light recoil), my Proof-barreled 7mm-300WSM's on long actions are the reigning kings in all areas of 7mm ownership, checking off all the boxes with shooting the heavy 7's (175 grains +)
-Plenty of velocity with far less powder. 67 grs of H1000 took the 180 VLD to 3200+fps before hitting slight pressure signs.
-They shoot like a laser beam
-Light recoil, even when shot from an easy packing 8.75lb rifle
-Good brass offering

I'm a lover off most all things 7, and a BIG fan of my 7 STW. BUT, (don't get ****ed fellas) if the criteria is for a packable, lightweight 7 with excellent shoot-ability (aka light recoil), my Proof-barreled 7mm-300WSM's on long actions are the reigning kings in all areas of 7mm ownership, checking off all the boxes with shooting the heavy 7's (175 grains +)
-Plenty of velocity with far less powder. 67 grs of H1000 took the 180 VLD to 3200+fps before hitting slight pressure signs.
-They shoot like a laser beam
-Light recoil, even when shot from an easy packing 8.75lb rifle
-Good brass offering
I get you but the difference in recoil shooting equivalent bullets is negligible between the two.

Put a decent brake on any of the sevens and recoil is a non factor anyhow except for those most sensitive to recoil to start with.

Now if you're talking about putting fifty or a hundred rounds down range in a sitting even a moderate difference in recoil has a significant cumulative effect but in a hunting rifle I just don't see it to be an issue.

For high volume shooting get something like a 6.5CM or .260 Rem or even one of the 6mm's.

67.0gr H1000 under a 180 nets you 3200+? ****.
My 7RM only gets 2996fps from 69.0gr H1000 w. 180 Hybrids from a 26" Bartlein. I got up to 3080fps w. 71gr H1000, but the accuracy was at 2996fps.
89.0gr of RL33 only got me 3190fps w. a 184 Hybrid from a 28 Nosler.

I know! My other 7-300s were on Benchmark and Bartlien, and accuracy on those always settled in about 3000fps @ 66.8 - 67.4grs of H1000, hitting pressure @ 3100ish. I don't know why my proof barrels always seem to do the same speed or more with less powder and have a higher pressure threshold, but they always do. So I keep buying them

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.