7mm build

I think if you stay in the 180-184 range, .280AI, .280 Sherman, 7SAUM, 7SS or 7RM are mighty hard to beat.

If you step up to the 195-197 range, 28 Nosler or 7STW would be my choice. Maybe 7-300, 7LRM, 7RUM, but you are going to gain a little with spending a lot. If it is a hunting only rifle....go big.
It'll be a hunter, but I like to shoot. I believe the more you shoot, the better you shoot. The better you know your rifle, round, set up, the better you'll be. My buddy's range is out to 1200 now and we shoot a lot. I WILL be shooting this rifle.
My current go to for testing my skills is a 260 Rem on a TAC 30 with a 27" Benchmark that I had done up a few years back when Benchmark offered a barrel special on here. It's a shooter!
I've got senderos on our lease that'll allow for shots out past a mile. I've "killed" a lot of steel out there.
I appreciate all the insight from a group that I respect tremendously.

What are the real issues with 7RM resizing? I was thinking that a 7RM would be a good "standard" option.
I realize not everyone has a hatred for the belted mags but here's what I dislike;
I've had issues with really tight bolt closure when sizing off the shoulder after several firings, the case can expand just above the belt and requires more dicking around to size correctly.
The 7mm Rem mag has more case capacity, and is less efficient than a wsm.
My buddy has a 7mm rem mag that I've been helping him load for and he's had so many issues getting that thing to shoot consistently that he's calling it quits and getting a new rifle.
Sorry if this offends the belted mag guys, this is just my experience.
Do a little reading and you'll see I'm not the only one, my point is if you don't have to shoot a belted mag then why do it.....

Here's a 7-300wsm with the 195 seated to 3.225" next to the 180 ELD-M.
You have to admit it's pretty sexy.
20181122_154020.jpg

I realize not everyone has a hatred for the belted mags but here's what I dislike;
I've had issues with really tight bolt closure when sizing off the shoulder after several firings, the case can expand just above the belt and requires more dicking around to size correctly.
The 7mm Rem mag has more case capacity, and is less efficient than a wsm.
My buddy has a 7mm rem mag that I've been helping him load for and he's had so many issues getting that thing to shoot consistently that he's calling it quits and getting a new rifle.
Sorry if this offends the belted mag guys, this is just my experience.
Do a little reading and you'll see I'm not the only one, my point is if you don't have to shoot a belted mag then why do it.....
Sounds like rifle and load issues, not cartridge choice issues.
I have exactly one belted magnum out of 6 custom rifles. I built my 7RM on a rifle my late father-in-law gave me when he passed away early last year. He asked me to rebuild it and kill an elk with it. So I rebuilt it in 7RM which is what he always carried. So no belted mag supporter here. But, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them that good hand loading will not remedy. And the fallacy of belted magnums having "issues" is easily averted or remedied with proper procedures.

Last edited:
It'll be a hunter, but I like to shoot. I believe the more you shoot, the better you shoot. The better you know your rifle, round, set up, the better you'll be. My buddy's range is out to 1200 now and we shoot a lot. I WILL be shooting this rifle.
My current go to for testing my skills is a 260 Rem on a TAC 30 with a 27" Benchmark that I had done up a few years back when Benchmark offered a barrel special on here. It's a shooter!
I've got senderos on our lease that'll allow for shots out past a mile. I've "killed" a lot of steel out there.
I appreciate all the insight from a group that I respect tremendously.
I went with a 7rm because it would fit my action with no modifications and I had concerns about the barrel life on the bigger capacity cases

I'd have a hard time not going with a 7rm myself.

The wsm would be a good choice as would a 28 nosler. Im not a huge fan of the stw or rum due to length of cartridge not working well even with a wyatts magazine.

If you want that stw power but shave a little length you may consider a 7-300 improved. APR out of Hurst has one that's a beast.

That is a sexy beast right there!
How is your rig set up?
What kind of velocity and accuracy are you getting with the 195's?
It's a 700 ultra mag action with an 8 twist, 26" varmint contour, fluted barrel throated for 180's at 3.115" oal
Pre fit "Remage" set up from match grade machine.
Zeiss v6 3-18×50, it's got a Bell and Carlson stock but I'm about to put an ultralight carbon fiber stock on it.
It weighs 9.2 lbs scoped, it'll be about 8.5 with the new stock.
I just put the load together with the 195's at 2925 fps, I'll see how it groups this weekend.
Here's a pic of the rifle with the Muley I just shot at 430 yards
20181108_083912.jpg

It's a 700 ultra mag action with an 8 twist, 26" varmint contour, fluted barrel throated for 180's at 3.115" oal
Pre fit "Remage" set up from match grade machine.
Zeiss v6 3-18×50, it's got a Bell and Carlson stock but I'm about to put an ultralight carbon fiber stock on it.
It weighs 9.2 lbs scoped, it'll be about 8.5 with the new stock.
I just put the load together with the 195's at 2925 fps, I'll see how it groups this weekend.
Here's a pic of the rifle with the Muley I just shot at 430 yards
View attachment 111177
Sweet!
Interested to see how it likes the 195's.
Keep us posted

Yeah true. The only places I ever saw prefit shouldered 700 barrels highly suggest/require proper head spacing to be done by a smith or someone with extensive experience. Which seems to negate the usefulness of a prefit barrel.
I would not trust one that wasn't first fitted and headspaced by a qualified smith.

What are the real issues with 7RM resizing? I was thinking that a 7RM would be a good "standard" option.
They are all great options. It's just become fashionable to bash belted magnums the last five or ten years.

I've loaded for at least 30 different rifles chambered in different belted magnum calibers over the last 20 years and never run into a head spacing issue at all. For most of that time I had the cheapest and bare minimal reloading gear a guy could get by with at all and I'm no reloading genius.

I'd have a hard time not going with a 7rm myself.

The wsm would be a good choice as would a 28 nosler. Im not a huge fan of the stw or rum due to length of cartridge not working well even with a wyatts magazine.

If you want that stw power but shave a little length you may consider a 7-300 improved. APR out of Hurst has one that's a beast.
They work just fine in standard length magazines.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.