7 RUM???????

With LR hunting guns, when it gets to the point as for distance that were looking for an extra 100 fps of velocity between same caliber cartridges with same bullets, it is past the time when we should really be looking at better cartridges.
Again, go to a hillside looking across a wide valley and compare them.

I was suggesting acquiring an additional 100+ "yards" in range not 100 fps. For some of the LR folks an additional 100 additional yards of "hunting/killing range is pretty important……or it certainly appears so on this forum.

Obviously shooting across a wide valley can be made possible for most any cartridge when elevation adjustments are made. However, assuming bullets of equal BC, windage adjustments are a bit more dramatic for the slower movers. This will also show up when shooting across the aforementioned valley.

Plus, that extra velocity at extended ranges can provide a bit more expansion with bullets of the same composition!

I'm merely attempting to address the OP's initial post……I have "no dog in this hunt", as I do not shoot game at extreme ranges, nor hunt with small caliber cartridges.

The 7 RUM is an interesting and capable cartridge…..owning and shooting one will give the "only " non-disputable, inarguable answer to the OP's question. 😉 memtb

I was able to find a bunch of ammo off ammoseek without issues. Just not much variety obviously. Like some of you have mentioned it might be something to burn the barrel out on and then re barrel it to something else. I'm a 30 cal kind of guy and have never shot any of the 7mm so for my first 7mm to be a 7 RUM I thought it was really cool. I'd say if the gun had a barrel thick enough for a brake it would be a really nice shooter as well as a nicer more rigid stock.

My 7 RUM has a factory sporter barrel. Muzzle brake is a Hollands side port. It's either 9/16 x 24 or 28 I forget. Works really well.

I had one when first released at the shop to test because the interest from customers were there, then we got another and went to town with the factory ammo 3 power level stuff to see what worked best.
First barrel lasted 1 year, around 600 shots and it was done with just factory ammo.
Second barrel about the same, but we were trying to load our own 3 power level ammo, it didn't work very well with under-ignition plaguing our attempts. Best load we found was with 160g Accubonds and 7828, later we used RE25 with great results with the same bullet.
Due to the rate of advancing throat erosion, I turned the first BDL into a 7STW, which is what I use today in a different custom REM 700 Sendero rifle. I have 2 7STW barrels for that switch barrel, both started as 7RM barrels.

Cheers.
So it sounds like he's got a barrel burner on his hands. I mean I guess for the average hunter who doesn't shoot much once the gun is zeroed should mind much. But if you like to go out and practice this ain't it chief.

I was suggesting acquiring an additional 100+ "yards" in range not 100 fps. For some of the LR folks an additional 100 additional yards of "hunting/killing range is pretty important……or it certainly appears so on this forum.

Obviously shooting across a wide valley can be made possible for most any cartridge when elevation adjustments are made. However, assuming bullets of equal BC, windage adjustments are a bit more dramatic for the slower movers. This will also show up when shooting across the aforementioned valley.

Plus, that extra velocity at extended ranges can provide a bit more expansion with bullets of the same composition!

I'm merely attempting to address the OP's initial post……I have "no dog in this hunt", as I do not shoot game at extreme ranges, nor hunt with small caliber cartridges.

The 7 RUM is an interesting and capable cartridge…..owning and shooting one will give the "only " non-disputable, inarguable answer to the OP's question. 😉 memtb
Absolutely great point. We are always chasing the biggest flattest caliber we can shoot well.

..lots of FUN while it lasts...man that casing can drive those long slender missles a long way in a hurry. Just a little too much fuel for that bore diameter but what the heck have some fun...I loved shooting one out to 1200, the time of flight is noticeable even for a moron to notice..

The time of flight is the first thing everyone notices. Was so enthralled by my first, took all my buddies out and that's the same observation.... that the bullet feels like it gets there yesterday!

The time of flight is the first thing everyone notices. Was so enthralled by my first, took all my buddies out and that's the same observation.... that the bullet feels like it gets there yesterday!
And by the time all your buddies get finished shooting ( your ) gun, ( your ) barrel is half shot out. lol
Again, 20 rounds per year represents a lifetime for a hunting gun.
Let the buddies buy their own and shoot out their own barrel.