7 RUM???????

The 7RUM is a Great Cartridge...
ADG and Peterson make brass.
Definitely needs a Brake.
And another barrel once it's fried.
That won't take long.
Put a 8twt on it, with the excessive case capacity even with saami reamer, you can easily shoot the big dogs.
I've had a 7RUM ever since they came out. The 7 Nosler is the only thing that comes close. [ 28Nosler]
I have 143HH comfortably shooting 3400fps, bug holing at 200yds.
You site in at 200 you will shoot inside a skoal can from 100 to 300.
I turned one into a 270/7RUM this year, that is one bad mf..
Good for you guys, have fun. 👍

IMG_20240809_202118.jpg

I had one when first released at the shop to test because the interest from customers were there, then we got another and went to town with the factory ammo 3 power level stuff to see what worked best.
First barrel lasted 1 year, around 600 shots and it was done with just factory ammo.
Second barrel about the same, but we were trying to load our own 3 power level ammo, it didn't work very well with under-ignition plaguing our attempts. Best load we found was with 160g Accubonds and 7828, later we used RE25 with great results with the same bullet.
Due to the rate of advancing throat erosion, I turned the first BDL into a 7STW, which is what I use today in a different custom REM 700 Sendero rifle. I have 2 7STW barrels for that switch barrel, both started as 7RM barrels.

Cheers.

So I know there are some big 7mm guys up on this forum so let me know what yall think! My buddies dad picked up a Remington BDL chambered in 7RUM. HE PAID 400$ for it and it came with 2 boxes of the Barnes 147 gr LRX round if I'm not mistaken. I took it to the range today and it kicked harder than my 300 wm but at the same time wasn't terrible. So this isn't a question regarding the rifle itself cause after all it's a rather cheap r700 with a thin barrel but rather id like some education on the 7 RUM its a pretty cool round and I stretched it just to 300 yards and it's flat, fast and delivers good energy from the report of the steal. Is this a popular round? What do you like to hunt with it? Is this a good long range option? Thanks gents cheers.

Best of the 7's…..3rd best RUM offering! 😉 memtb

I had one when first released at the shop to test because the interest from customers were there, then we got another and went to town with the factory ammo 3 power level stuff to see what worked best.
First barrel lasted 1 year, around 600 shots and it was done with just factory ammo.
Second barrel about the same, but we were trying to load our own 3 power level ammo, it didn't work very well with under-ignition plaguing our attempts. Best load we found was with 160g Accubonds and 7828, later we used RE25 with great results with the same bullet.
Due to the rate of advancing throat erosion, I turned the first BDL into a 7STW, which is what I use today in a different custom REM 700 Sendero rifle. I have 2 7STW barrels for that switch barrel, both started as 7RM barrels.

Cheers.
Well fact is that there is very little difference between those two cartridges, and the same can be said about the 300 Wby case necked down to 7mm.
Some barrels might show slightly different results than others, but by and large the differences are minimal.
As for barrel life, used specifically for hunting, aside from a few rounds each year for checking for zero, a barrel will last for more than a lifetime.
I have 2 7x300 Wbys wearing barrels that are more than 50 years old.
Granted that is unusual, and i do have other guns that see more use, but the key is not to be using the hunting guns for practice shooting at things like rocks.

While it may be a bit of a "barrel burner", the higher velocities will give you a 100+ yards of usable range with the better/best hunting bullets. Those bullets being bullets that are reliable from the muzzle to their maximum yardage for adequate expansion! JMO. memtb

While it may be a bit of a "barrel burner", the higher velocities will give you a 100+ yards of usable range with the better/best hunting bullets. Those bullets being bullets that are reliable from the muzzle to their maximum yardage for adequate expansion! JMO. memtb
With LR hunting guns, when it gets to the point as for distance that were looking for an extra 100 fps of velocity between same caliber cartridges with same bullets, it is past the time when we should really be looking at better cartridges.
Again, go to a hillside looking across a wide valley and compare them.

I was able to find a bunch of ammo off ammoseek without issues. Just not much variety obviously. Like some of you have mentioned it might be something to burn the barrel out on and then re barrel it to something else. I'm a 30 cal kind of guy and have never shot any of the 7mm so for my first 7mm to be a 7 RUM I thought it was really cool. I'd say if the gun had a barrel thick enough for a brake it would be a really nice shooter as well as a nicer more rigid stock.

Just about any standard barrel is "thick enough" to have a muzzle brake fitted. Measure the diameter of the muzzle and post it here. I'm sure guys will steer you in the right direction.