7-378 Weatherby, Long Range 7mm

Not once did I say that anything I have done was better than anything or anyone. The guy ask about 7mm 378 weatherby and I answered. One thing for sure there will always be someone a little bigger and better. For some the hard part is excepting that fact.

Not once did I say that anything I have done was better than anything or anyone. The guy ask about 7mm 378 weatherby and I answered. One thing for sure there will always be someone a little bigger and better. For some the hard part is excepting that fact.
I was not responding to you. You make sense. I was responding to another that likes maximum speed with no other consideration.

Anyone have experience with this round? I noticed PT&G has a reamer, but I couldn't seem to find any dies. I would think a simple neck down of 30-378 would make this a long range killer of whatever you need it to. I would guess push 180 Grain Berger to prolly 3400 FPS or better. If you could get bullet to stabilize.

Any insight into this caliber would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I know it will be expensive to shoot and will be a barrel Burner. That doesn't concern me, it will be a hunting rifle.
That is a lot powder down a small hole. I suspect barrel life would be affected

Wouldn't a properly throated 7 RUM with a 28" barrel get pretty close to the speeds you are wanting?

There is nothing wrong with "barrel burners". Treat them right and use them for hunting not plinking and you can hand them down to you grandkid so that he can hunt with it for another 25 years.

Trick is having the parent case that can handle it and enough barrel to make it perform. I think guys see no return for the extra overbore thinking it will be run on a 26" barrel. That would be correct. Run a 30-32" barrel and watch it shine. The 338 Lapua case is the only one that makes sense to me to handle the task. As stated earlier the 7mm Allen Mag has more than proven that a 7mm 160g class pill at 3600 fps is powerful medicine to very long range, and can do it for much longer than the 300 rounds the nay sayers are reporting.

To the OP: Don't let the barrel burner crowd talk you out of building a long range fire breathing hunting rifle. If you really want it on the Wby parent case it will work. Just won't be able to match the capability of the Lapua case.

Fast accurate guns are more than interesting...They are fun!

Far left 338 lapua
Middle 7mm Rouge (7mm 378 AL)
Right 338 Excalibur ( 416 Rigby case)
You can decide what is best. I will say one thing the 7mm lapua will not out perform the 7mm Rouge.
20200101_143334.jpg

No You came go to the 300 Pegasus and see the numbers on it. I shot the 338 excalibur but have not entertained the thought of necking it down to 7mm. The 7mm rouge would be to close to mess with it and I have the reamers.

I know the 30-416 Rigby imp was hot in the 1000y bench rest years ago, but was pushed out by the 30-378 Wby. Awful lot of brass prep to get the 416 necked down and improved. It is longer but not sure it can handle the kind of pressure that the Lapua case can.

Got any 7mm-416 Rigby imp numbers?

A 7mm/338 Excalibur should be right at 138gr capacity versus the 7mm/378 Wby at 130gr.

For comparison, the Lazzeroni Firebird (biggest commercial 7mm) is 126gr.

7mm/338 Lapua improved, 120gr.
Not improved, 113gr.

7mm RUM, 112gr.

28 Nosler, 99gr...basically the same as the STW and the 7mm/300 Wby.

We have played with the 300 Norma imp and necked it up and down. It will produce about rum performance with about 10g less powder and a shorter oal. The Lapua imp will produce about 200 fsp over the rum depending on the reamer. Yet still a bit shorter oal than the rum. The Lapua imp is pretty tough to beat until you go to a Cheytac parent case. Whole diff world.