7-378 Weatherby, Long Range 7mm

I had the reamers made a few years back. I put a 36 inch barrel on and I was pushing 160 over 3500. Had no problems with weatherby brass but had problems keeping bullets together. I'm going to try again with a different barrel and shoot solid copper this time. I have a set of 3 reamers so dies are not a problem. When you take the 30s down to 284 you do have to turn necks. I called the round a 7mm Rough.

Anyone have experience with this round? I noticed PT&G has a reamer, but I couldn't seem to find any dies. I would think a simple neck down of 30-378 would make this a long range killer of whatever you need it to. I would guess push 180 Grain Berger to prolly 3400 FPS or better. If you could get bullet to stabilize.

Any insight into this caliber would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I know it will be expensive to shoot and will be a barrel Burner. That doesn't concern me, it will be a hunting rifle.
I have no experience with this round but it would be WAY too much capacity for a 7 bore. The 30x378 is too. I once had a 300 weatherby when I was younger. Same barrel and we rechambered to the 30x 378. 26 inch tube I gained nothing except noise and recoil. I would go with the 7 practical myself or maximum the 28 nosler. You can only push so much coal in a certain bore size. For example. The nosler is smaller but will outperform the 7rum.

David is correct. I'm just one of those that gives thing a try. I have a 30 inch 28 nosler and it is shooting 180s at 3330. Put that in your calculator.

I don't know what other calibers will do. I try not to compair them. I only tell you what mine will do.

I know this. When you need to run a full case of us869 to get to pressure with a 175 you have enough boiler room. If you get to pressure before the case is full of 50 cal browning powder you have too big a case.

This is why I don't do forums very often. Someone always find you wrong or under informed even if your only trying to help someone. Good luck lgloutfiters.

I did not come on here to argue. Can you get more speed with bigger and bigger cases? To a point and then you start to go backwards. Efficiency that is acceptable with concern to barrel wear and what you are happy with is your decision. Why not a 50 browning necked to 7? lol In my experience a 7 practical will go 1200 to 2000 rounds and a rum will tip over at 4 to 600. Your choice. For another 50 to 75 fps? Like I said. Your choice

Prolly so. Prolly just go with 7-300 Roy. Already have the brass for 300 Weatherby, and 6.5-300. But can't go straight to 6.5 from 300. Shoulders crush. Takes 7-300 dies then 6.5-300 dies. I have the dies and the brass. I just wanted something that would be far and away faster than the 7STW or 28. Looks like 7-300 will be just on par with those two
You are correct, the 7x300 WBY is essentially a clone to an 8mm mag case necked down to 7mm, AKA 7mmSTW.
Ive been using 7x300 wbys for about 50 years for l/r hunting in PA where at one time they were probably the most popular l/r cartridge there.
That cartridge actually derailed the 6.5x300 there in the early 70s after Hornady introduced the 162 gr hpbt 7mm match bullet.
As for the 7x378 wby, again that cartridge along with a 6.5 version on that case was experimented with also there many years back. But for various reasons it never went anywhere.
Howard Wolfe, who was a popular l/r gunsmith there and also an early pioneer of the 30x378 wildcat cartridge, had built a large 3 lug action to accommodate the 30x378. But others thought that the action might also allow for trying the 7 mm and 6.5 bullets with the 378 case, much to the dismay of Howard. He did agree to chamber a shortened version of the 378 case necked down to 7mm for at least 1 man that I'm aware of. The shortened version case is one that he had developed for use in shorter 30" barrels at the 1000 yd matches at Williamsport.
The powder capacity of that shortened case is a duplicate of the modern 300 Norma case.
I have been using that case with 190 gr SMKs with a MV of right around 3400 for quite a few years for l/r deer hunting With a gun built by Howard on a Mark V action.
I also have one of his actions being #29 of I'm not sure how many, which was a 30x378 for many years, but which now has a 338 barrel installed by Bruce Baer for his Big Baer case.
The future is always forward not backwards, and that means bigger bullets not smaller ones.

Last edited:
I did not come on here to argue. Can you get more speed with bigger and bigger cases? To a point and then you start to go backwards. Efficiency that is acceptable with concern to barrel wear and what you are happy with is your decision. Why not a 50 browning necked to 7? lol In my experience a 7 practical will go 1200 to 2000 rounds and a rum will tip over at 4 to 600. Your choice. For another 50 to 75 fps? Like I said. Your choice

Show me a 28 Nosler that will outrun a 7mm AM, Firebird or a RUM.