6x47L, 6Dash or 6BR

ARlife4me

I'm looking for doing 1 of these in an AR, but the Lapua would require the 10 version. With the ASC mags it can go to 2.315"ish (iirc). I'm only using up to 90gr, but may go to 105's? What would be the better choice and how would 1 benefit over the others?

If you dont need a souped up 6mm.... the6BR...... is hard to beat......very accurate,trouble free reloading,
with the 6br being almost the same as 6dasher on velocity wise, I'm just wondering if 1 is easier to tune than the other?

I like my 6 Dasher, but feeding is a problem on a BDL bottom metal. I have no experience with gas guns. Feeding is my only concern with a Dasher. But with proper mags it may work really well. The Dasher is very accurate and has almost no recoil. Hawkins and MDT I think make mags.

All these cases are 473 case head, that means they should get ar10 bcg from the start. Myself personally, I'd go 6gt on a small frame ar10 upper/lower. You get better performance velocity and nearly same accuracy/tunability of the br variants. This case will use the 308 pmags available coal, without hindering case capacity or jumping bullets like a creed or X47 would. The dasher/br are tricky to get to feed properly in bolt guns, I would imagine getting them to run in a gasser, be worse. I had a buddy build an ar15 on 6gt with short throat shooting light varmint bullets, believe he used grendel mags. Works well as his night time rig with thermal.

If you want to use the AR-15, the 6 ARC is your solution. While it works great in a bolt action, it was developed for the AR-15 platform. The twist rate will be suitable for the 105-109 gr. bullets as well as the 90 gr. You can run the 105 grs. To 2550 fps and the 90 grs. to 2750 fps and stay at magazine length. The 6ARC also feeds from a regular AR mag.
Now, if you want to ho to the AR-10 platform, the 6mm Creedmoor is the top choice, in my humble opinion.

I would go with the Dasher if you have a source for the bolt and barrel extension. I didn't think anyone was still making a .473 bolt for the small frame ARs

I had a 6.5 BRX and a 270 AR built on AR 15 frames for a while and they were pretty fun. The BRX just wouldn't shoot better than .75 MOA, so I switched to the 270 AR, which is a shortened 6.5x47 Lapua. The 270 AR shot better but there weren't a lot of good bullets that would still cycle through the action.

I would go with the Dasher if you have a source for the bolt and barrel extension. I didn't think anyone was still making a .473 bolt for the small frame ARs

I had a 6.5 BRX and a 270 AR built on AR 15 frames for a while and they were pretty fun. The BRX just wouldn't shoot better than .75 MOA, so I switched to the 270 AR, which is a shortened 6.5x47 Lapua. The 270 AR shot better but there weren't a lot of good bullets that would still cycle through the action.
450 bushmaster uses that bolt face as it's still made along with 458socom. Bolts and barrels are still available.

Will the 458 SOCOM and 450 Bushmaster bolts hold up to the higher pressures? That was a big debate when I had the .473 bolt face rounds. I was using the ARP bolt/extension combos. I remember there being problems with the SOCOM bolts, and Grendel bolts, failing when you got over 35K PSI. I personally saw a few guys shear off lugs with hot rod Grendel loads.

I don't know enough about the 450 Bushmaster, but maybe those bolts are a good option.

Will the 458 SOCOM and 450 Bushmaster bolts hold up to the higher pressures? That was a big debate when I had the .473 bolt face rounds. I was using the ARP bolt/extension combos. I remember there being problems with the SOCOM bolts, and Grendel bolts, failing when you got over 35K PSI. I personally saw a few guys shear off lugs with hot rod Grendel loads.

I don't know enough about the 450 Bushmaster, but maybe those bolts are a good option.
Max pressure is a problem with them on possibility of failure and why there is a "2" version. Having a 243win AR is why I'm thinking about doing a small frame (not sfar) as to have a shorter version cartridge of the same caliber. There is the 6max (uses the 350legend bolt iirc), but not a fan of rebated rims in AR's.

Pretty sure my 450 BM runs about 40k PSI. 250gn FTX, 2200 FPS, compressed 1680 to mimic the Hornady Black factory loading. Not saying it'll hold up at 50k but will do more than 35k.

6 ARC is the easy button. I shoot 6BR and 6 Dasher in plenty of bolt guns, but an AR doesn't play to the strengths of that case, which is that it's actually smaller than other options. If faster was always better, 243 Win would be beating the small 6s at 1000 yards, but it doesn't because that's not the game. Reduced recoil is an important part of the small 6s punching paper, when facing a weight limit on the rifle it's a real issue. I only bring this up because it's kind of like 300 Blackout - awesome design for a subsonic round that works with standard AR-15 parts and mags and even uses .mil brass that's not crazy hard to reform. But in the new world where we have tons of options, a lot of things that made the Blackout initially successful don't hold up anymore. And as soon as you start using it outside the original restrictions on it's design, it really doesn't make sense at all. 300 BLK in a bolt gun is a fun gun to me, I have a couple and shoot them a lot, but there's nothing "better" about it that isn't outshined by a dozen other chamberings. Dasher has taken off in PRS specifically because of the recoil issue, benefiting in positional shooting instead of against a benchrest weight limit, in a caliber that gives great BCs for bullet weight.

That said if you're just want something cool, rock on and do the Dasher. Nothing lost over the 6BR in accuracy, is faster, great brass from Alpha and Peterson is available already formed. If it doesn't shoot bugholes even through an AR there's something wrong with the barrel IMO. In my experience neither is harder or easier to work with, if both are top-notch metal work jobs they both shoot lights out with one being slightly faster in exchange for slightly more recoil. I fully support uncommon projects đź‘Ť

Last edited:

Recent Posts