6mmAI

KNOTFERSAIL

So, I have a bone stock red pad, tang safety M77 in 6mm Rem with 22" 9 twist that shoots 70-95's like a dream. For whatever reason I think I want to turn it into 6mmAI 🤷‍♂️

I want to keep the rifle original except for obviously the chambering, and maybe keep and ream out the factory barrel….

I'm the original owner so the round count isn't a lot on the factory barrel.

Question for the pros: does it make sense to punch out the factory 22" or go with a aftermarket 24"+ barrel? I will stay with loading 70-95's, so I'll stay with a 9 twist.

Any recommendations for AI die manufacturers?

Id rechamber it first. If it dont work or you get to yearnin for higher bc bullets u can rebarrel then.
I just read an article in handloader? On the 6mm. He was runnin the 103eldx just fine too. A 9 twist is much better than 10 so ur not in a horrible place, and since already like the bullet range ur in, no reason to rebarrel unless you feel like it.

You can have it,. HAND Reamed,.. IF, done slowly and Carefully ! ( Reamers can Be, Rented )
The Hornady 103 gr. ELD-X's and 95 gr. Berger, Classic Hunters should shoot very Well, in a 9 Twist !
My grandson has dropped 2 Large Desert Mulies DRT with, the 87 gr H-VLD's, in his 10 twist, Tikka .243 Win at, 3,165 FPS.
The 6 MM Ai, is even Faster than the .243 win. and should Be, pretty "Wicked" with,. the right Bullet !

Last edited: