6mm for AR

Arthur Stank

I have a Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit lower and would like to add a 6mm upper for hogs and coyotes. Used to be a simple choice between 6mm Rem and .243. Now with all the 6mm versions available I would like opinions on which would be the most accurate and lethal combination. Any preference as to barrel maker would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a 6arc and barrels in both 18" and 22" lengths. It literally runs almost as fast as all of the 6mm wildcat stuff that guys go through a 42 step process to make for prs, (think 6mm brx-hsu27rhe, or whatever the cool kids are shooting now), and you can buy excellent factory ammo cheap. It is laser accurate, lethal on game, especially coyotes, (I haven't tried it on pigs, but I'm sure it would perform admirably). No magazine issues loading it, ridiculously long barel life, very low recoil, factory dies are everywhere. I think Hornady hit one out of the park with this one.

I've got a 6arc and barrels in both 18" and 22" lengths. It literally runs almost as fast as all of the 6mm wildcat stuff that guys go through a 42 step process to make for prs, (think 6mm brx-hsu27rhe, or whatever the cool kids are shooting now), and you can buy excellent factory ammo cheap. It is laser accurate, lethal on game, especially coyotes, (I haven't tried it on pigs, but I'm sure it would perform admirably). No magazine issues loading it, ridiculously long barel life, very low recoil, factory dies are everywhere. I think Hornady hit one out of the park with this one.
Thanks, been reading on ARC and may head that way

Thanks, thinking along those lines also

AR-15 orig .223
6x45 would be my vote. You keep your gun exactly the way it is with the exception of a new barrel. No mag or bolt head swaps, just a new barrel. Take your old 223 brass, punch out the neck to 6mm and then start loading ammo.

I'm about to build one in a bolt gun for my daughter. They run the 70-90 grain projectiles pretty well.

6x45 would be my vote. You keep your gun exactly the way it is with the exception of a new barrel. No mag or bolt head swaps, just a new barrel. Take your old 223 brass, punch out the neck to 6mm and then start loading ammo.

I'm about to build one in a bolt gun for my daughter. They run the 70-90 grain projectiles pretty well.
your points are exactly why i am considering the 6x45. mcgowen offers a barrel for $329 if i dont get too fancy with it. 3-4 month wait but i've got other guns to shoot. i have tons of 5.56 brass for my AR's. the only thing is i dont have time/space to reload right now and i've not found many factory options for it. the 6ARC has me a little intrigued too. this is the problem with AR's. too many choices. can't decide on one, so i end up with all of them.

your points are exactly why i am considering the 6x45. mcgowen offers a barrel for $329 if i dont get too fancy with it. 3-4 month wait but i've got other guns to shoot. i have tons of 5.56 brass for my AR's. the only thing is i dont have time/space to reload right now and i've not found many factory options for it. the 6ARC has me a little intrigued too. this is the problem with AR's. too many choices. can't decide on one, so i end up with all of them.
Not to get off topic but there are ways to reload in a minimal footprint. I used to load in my apartment on a table that I moved in/out of a closet. If I can help with any ideas later on give me a shout I'd be glad to toss some ideas around.

If that isn't something you really want to dive into given the current state of finding reloading supplies (that's understandable) then the factory supported options like Grendel (my favorite), ARC, etc would be the way to go. 25-45 sharps is another option and last time I checked you could get factory ammo from Sharps. I have one of those in an AR platform and love it also.

Not to get off topic but there are ways to reload in a minimal footprint. I used to load in my apartment on a table that I moved in/out of a closet. If I can help with any ideas later on give me a shout I'd be glad to toss some ideas around.

If that isn't something you really want to dive into given the current state of finding reloading supplies (that's understandable) then the factory supported options like Grendel (my favorite), ARC, etc would be the way to go. 25-45 sharps is another option and last time I checked you could get factory ammo from Sharps. I have one of those in an AR platform and love it also.
oh yeah, i'm with you. i started reloading in an apartment myself back before we had kids. i have a single stage lee press, so it doesnt take up that much room. but i've got a 2, 3 and 5 year old that would be into everything. we're looking for a bigger house with land right now, so hopefully i'll have a set up soon. i've got 4 pounds of varget and some reloader 15, all sorts of brass, a few thousand primers. just need projectiles really.

Just put a Mcgowen 6x45 barrel with a 1x7 twist on my Aero upper. I really like the 6x45 round and have used it for years on varmints, hogs and deer. Very accurate round and Mcgowen barrel are ouststanding. I also shoot an Aero ar10 in 6 creedmoor, but the 6x45 gets more action.