6mm/6.5 PRC Load Recommendations

.300 Dakota

25" Ace barrel with 7.5 twist. My throat will have .130" of free bore. Enough without being too much (IMHO). The purpose is for whitetail deer hunting. Period. If I get a wild hair and decide to carry it boar hunting out of curiosity, I've got some 100gr Norma Oryxs that will handle that job nicely at short range. I have about every hunting bullet between 90 and 100 grains plus heavier bullets including 103gr ELD-Xs, 105gr VLD Hunters, 115gr VLD Hunters, and what I wanted to focus on most, 108gr Elite Hunters. I'm at sea level in a warm climate. 750 - 800yds is about all I'll be able to squeeze out of this cartridge with the currently available hunting bullets and still meet the 1000 ft-lb minimum for deer killing energy. I likely won't need over 400 - 600 yards of that.

I've loaded for the .240 Wby and 6mm/7mm SAUM wildcat previously. Back then, I didn't have 8133, N565, N568, N570, RL 26, Magnum, or StaBall HD. RL 25, 7828SSC, N560, H1000, and MagPro were used. I didn't have the ELD-X, Hammers, or 108 Elites, either. 105gr VLD Hunters in the 1:8 SAUM, and 100gr ProHunters in the 1:10 .240 was what I did. Not a huge amount of velocity gain in the SAUM compared to the .240 considering the difference in the charges given the same 100gr bullet side by side. Maybe 100ft/s or so. Both had 24" barrels.

I have a bit of 6.5 PRC brass, though I don't know what brand off the top. I would prefer Lapua (I think) due to the amount of necking down. 20 thousandths isn't huge, but it's more than a tiny bit.

Do you think running a 6.5 PRC bushing die with appropriate sized bushing for 6mm by way of .257 (2 steps - or more) would do well? It would need to size all the way down to the neck and not leave a bump. I could try Hornady Universal Neck Sizer, as I have both .25 cal and .24 cal. The hope is to not impart runout by bending the neck to one side. Maybe ADG brass being a little "tougher" might be better for this application? I was just thinking that Lapua is nice and straight and easy to form from new cases. Do I need a $400 SAC sizing die? (Like REALLY??)

If I want to focus mainly on 108 Elite Hunters, do you think RL 26, Magnum, and N565 would be good places to start for good velocity from the 25" 7.5 twist barrel? Or should I go slower? Magnum works GREAT for the parent case 6.5 PRC with 120 - 140gr bullets. Would that mean I may need to look at a powder a smidge slower like Retumbo, RL33, or N568? I reserve N570 for the last ditch effort due to barrel burn rate. Not sure how much better 568 really is. Oh, I also have LRT that will be in that wheelhouse. (I'm purposely dancing around H1000, which might do well.) Temp stability is important, but not as important as it would be away from the coastline. Humidity is always above 60% here except on VERY rare occasions. It's hot now. It will be hot during gun season (some of the time anyway). There may not be 20 degrees of difference between a "cool" day now and a "warm" day then. Though it is possible for 50 - 60 degree differnces - but I have other rigs I could carry loaded much differently on those days.

Anyone have any experience with this round? If it matters, the gun is on a Tikka action, so cartridge OAL isn't an issue.

I use an SAC PRC die and neck down in one shot with a .271 bushing on lapua brass. Their bushing is a neck/shoulder bushing though and I think that helps with necking it down in one pass.

60gr. N570
57gr. H1000
54gr. 4831 SC

Those are all charge weights that landed 1gr. under pressure for me with 108 ELDM's and CCI 200's. They all shot great groups. If you're going to use another powder, just land the charge accordingly compared to what I've tested and start low.

I have necked down 6.5prc ADG and Lapua brass to 25prc and 6prc. No issues with Redding dies/bushings. For the 6mm I tried it both ways. I started by doing it in two steps and also doing it in one step. It worked fine both ways. For my 25prc with 135 bergers N565 and H1000 have worked well.

I have not ordered a barrel for the 6prc yet so I can't say what will work. I plan on using 105-115 bergers.

Good luck.

I use an SAC PRC die and neck down in one shot with a .271 bushing on lapua brass. Their bushing is a neck/shoulder bushing though and I think that helps with necking it down in one pass.

60gr. N570
57gr. H1000
54gr. 4831 SC

Those are all charge weights that landed 1gr. under pressure for me with 108 ELDM's and CCI 200's. They all shot great groups. If you're going to use another powder, just land the charge accordingly compared to what I've tested and start low.
How much freebore are you running with your reamer? Any experience with magnum primers with any of those powders? Obviously the charge would need to be decreased some to use them.

Oops … you are OP, sorry !

I too will be interested in others FB. I ve got a 6-280AI and only has .050 FB …. I think .125-.150 would be sweet spot for 100-115 gr bullets in it. (Got a lonnng neck :)

How much freebore are you running with your reamer? Any experience with magnum primers with any of those powders? Obviously the charge would need to be decreased some to use them.
I had one with .130 freebore and my current one is .200 freebore. No experience with magnum primers unfortunately

Just a Redding full length neck bushing die will work. I've necked down Lapua and I've necked down Peterson. I ran .273 first firing to get it necked down and then I ran
.269 after it was fire formed. I've got 8 twist and 9 twist barrels for mine. My reamer is no turn for both types of brass above. Currently running 90's in my 9 twist 24 inch barrel with 62grains of reloader 26 with no pressure. At 3850fps. I recently cut one for a customer whom I've done at least 7 barrels for him in what we call 6MJ. 6 Mach Jesus. His last 8 twist barrel at 22 inches produced 3640 with reloader 26 I've got reamer for Hornady brass which would be a turn reamer for Lapua. And the reamer with no turn for Lapua. .135 freebore plus lead angle. Actually equates to almost .180 fb. Because I'm so invested I had Whidden make me a full length die based on my fired brass and my reamer spec. I sent them both fired peterson and fired Lapua brass. .03 off the lands with most stuff in this reamer shoots really well. This chrono pic was from before my barrel sped up

Attachments

• IMG_4622.png
    IMG_4622.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 33
Just a Redding full length neck bushing die will work. I've necked down Lapua and I've necked down Peterson. I ran .273 first firing to get it necked down and then I ran
.269 after it was fire formed. I've got 8 twist and 9 twist barrels for mine. My reamer is no turn for both types of brass above. Currently running 90's in my 9 twist 24 inch barrel with 62grains of reloader 26 with no pressure. At 3850fps. I recently cut one for a customer whom I've done at least 7 barrels for him in what we call 6MJ. 6 Mach Jesus. His last 8 twist barrel at 22 inches produced 3640 with reloader 26 I've got reamer for Hornady brass which would be a turn reamer for Lapua. And the reamer with no turn for Lapua. .135 freebore plus lead angle. Actually equates to almost .180 fb. Because I'm so invested I had Whidden make me a full length die based on my fired brass and my reamer spec. I sent them both fired peterson and fired Lapua brass. .03 off the lands with most stuff in this reamer shoots really well. This chrono pic was from before my barrel sped up
Not sure I could get away with that speed on 90s with a 7.5 twist, but well-constructed 100s should be fun.

Both H1000 and H4831SC work well. Just don't expect a close to maximum load at 60 degrees to be good at +90. Gonna get some clickers and possibly out of a good node a bit.
FWIW, Just using Whidden 6.5 PRC bushing dies.