6 Creedmoor for Desert Bighorn

CA325747-9D40-495B-8A80-3950AED20FDB.jpeg
19FDD124-5515-4242-AA0A-D36F300108B6.jpeg

The notoriously "tough" mountain goat ( large 9yo Billy) and a mature Muley buck both killed by my wife with a 6 Creed. Both one shot kills. Zero issues.

you really dont hunt that much do you?
I hunt plenty. And there's no guarantee just because you're shooting a 150gr 7mm bullet (which isn't anything special to begin with) that you're going to get some massive exit with guts hanging out. I shot a mule deer point blank with a 195 Berger and didn't get an exit.

I agree that a bigger cartridge/caliber can POTENTIALLY buy you some forgiveness with a poor shot. But it is very bullet dependent. I'd rather shoot a deer with a 6mm 108 ELDM than a 7mm mono bullet for example. The 108 causes a much more devastating wound channel.

Planning your whole system around making poor shots never really has made sense to me anyways though.

I've made a poor shot with a big 30 cal and it didn't do me any special favors really. Animal still alive 30 minutes later, total cluster F trying to get it killed, feel like a complete *** the whole time ect….

Also, would a 6 creed be my own personal choice? No. But with a self imposed limit of 400 yards, that sheep is as good as dead with an easily well placed 6mm bullet. Not even taking into the consideration the potential for faster follow up shots.

What bullet was she using! Great animals by the way!
Those were both with 105 HVLD's. 108 Elite hunters, 105 VLD's, 108 eldm's I just try them all and whatever shoots best gets loaded. I feel like you get a little deeper wound channel with the Bergers and wider with the eldm's. All of them work just fine. If I was being super picky I would probably load eldm's for antelope, mountain goats and whitetails and Bergers for Muleys and elk but with good shot placement I don't think it really matters that much. Dead is dead.

I hunt plenty. And there's no guarantee just because you're shooting a 150gr 7mm bullet (which isn't anything special to begin with) that you're going to get some massive exit with guts hanging out. I shot a mule deer point blank with a 195 Berger and didn't get an exit.

I agree that a bigger cartridge/caliber can POTENTIALLY buy you some forgiveness with a poor shot. But it is very bullet dependent. I'd rather shoot a deer with a 6mm 108 ELDM than a 7mm mono bullet for example. The 108 causes a much more devastating wound channel.

Planning your whole system around making poor shots never really has made sense to me anyways though.

I've made a poor shot with a big 30 cal and it didn't do me any special favors really. Animal still alive 30 minutes later, total cluster F trying to get it killed, feel like a complete *** the whole time ect….
It's not planning your whole system for a Poor shot. You're just eliminating variables. Things don't always go as planned. That's what you're planning for. Personally I've had nothing bad poor results with hornady eldx and eldm's.
High velocity = high expansion
How far did that deer go?

My last desert bighorn I shot with a 300 wsm 200.20x bullets. 650 yards, it just rolled down the mountain. Running at a super consistent 2770 fps, that rifle recoils less than my 6.5ss.

As someone who has done these hunts, and continues to do them. I'm just saying what I've personally seen. The op is free to do whatever he wants.

These hunts cost lots of money or they are a once in a lifetime opportunity. It's silly to add unnecessary variables into the process

View attachment 592066View attachment 592067
The notoriously "tough" mountain goat ( large 9yo Billy) and a mature Muley buck both killed by my wife with a 6 Creed. Both one shot kills. Zero issues.
You want to use a rapid expansion bullet on goats. 🤦‍♂️ they are narrow animals. If you use a controlled expansion bullet, there isn't enough tissue to for bullet to reach full expansion before it's already exited the animal

You want to use a rapid expansion bullet on goats. 🤦‍♂️ they are narrow animals. If you use a controlled expansion bullet, there isn't enough tissue to for bullet to reach full expansion before it's already exited the animal
Ya no kidding. Hence the reason I said if I was going after the perfect mountain goat bullet it would be a eldm. I'm pretty sure that's how they got the reputation of being hard to kill, people shot them with bonded/controlled expansion bullets and it didn't put them down quick, the solution was larger and harder bullets which resulted in putting them down even slower which resulted in them developing the reputation of being extremely tough to kill.

While I agree a 7-08 isn't a heavy recoiling cartridge, it has about 33% more recoil than a 6cm with a 108 vs 150gr assuming the guns weigh the same. Hit probability with a 33% recoil reduction is a LOT higher.
Ahh I think it depends on the shooter. I don't feel or notice recoil shooting at game. I can say that for one shot I can shoot a 9 pound 7 mag just as accurate as a 12 pound 6.5 creed. I've done it. Multiple shots on the bench ok. It starts to add up. Spotting your misses of course is easier with the light calibers. But I dont plan on missing lol.

It's not planning your whole system for a Poor shot. You're just eliminating variables. Things don't always go as planned. That's what you're planning for. Personally I've had nothing bad poor results with hornady eldx and eldm's.
High velocity = high expansion
How far did that deer go?

My last desert bighorn I shot with a 300 wsm 200.20x bullets. 650 yards, it just rolled down the mountain. Running at a super consistent 2770 fps, that rifle recoils less than my 6.5ss.

As someone who has done these hunts, and continues to do them. I'm just saying what I've personally seen. The op is free to do whatever he wants.

These hunts cost lots of money or they are a once in a lifetime opportunity. It's silly to add unnecessary variables into the process
Deer went maybe 10 yards. Basically just hunched up, turned, took a few steps and fell over. I've shot quite a few animals at close range with fast flying, fast fragmenting bullets, and they all react the same so far. If it doesn't stone them on the spot, they just hunch up and die within seconds.

And your perspective is certainly appreciated!

I was just sharing my experience also. And how a big cartridge/caliber doesn't totally guarantee anything in the world of making poor shots, or making gaping exits with those poor shots.

I've seen 223s make more internal damage than a 300WM. How? Bullet selection. ELDM vs solid copper. It all comes down to the bullet. Someone on here said they've seen 2 bighorn go missing from a creedmoor. Is that 22 creed, 6 creed, 6.5 creed?. Ok what bullet? How far of a shot? Experienced shooter? Custom rifle? Good rest? Lots of variables to consider. Good bullet. Good shot. Done deal. That 6 creed is gonna be great for this hunt. Practice shooting as much as possible so you can make a good ethical shot.

I've seen 223s make more internal damage than a 300WM. How? Bullet selection. ELDM vs solid copper. It all comes down to the bullet. Someone on here said they've seen 2 bighorn go missing from a creedmoor. Is that 22 creed, 6 creed, 6.5 creed?. Ok what bullet? How far of a shot? Experienced shooter? Custom rifle? Good rest? Lots of variables to consider. Good bullet. Good shot. Done deal. That 6 creed is gonna be great for this hunt. Practice shooting as much as possible so you can make a good ethical shot.
what it comes down to is are you willing to put your money on the line to take that chance? Unless you've done it. Then the answer is no. I have a 22 creed, I also have a 6gt. Would I use either of those on a desert bighorn. Not a chance.

what it comes down to is are you willing to put your money on the line to take that chance? Unless you've done it. Then the answer is no. I have a 22 creed, I also have a 6gt. Would I use either of those on a desert bighorn. Not a chance.
What chance? To hunt with a lighter recoiling rifle and smaller diameter bullet on a sheep?