6 Creedmoor for Desert Bighorn

Shot placement trumps everything. Pick the one you can reliably get first round hits on targets the size of the vitals of your game. If you can't stay in the scope, spot your own shots and still be on target for a follow up, it's too much recoil. Suppresor, brake or step down in cartridge.
"Insurance" comes from good shot placement not bullet diameter or energy on target. A 223 in the vitals trumps a 375 ruger in the gut or ham.

Shot placement trumps everything. Pick the one you can reliably get first round hits on targets the size of the vitals of your game. If you can't stay in the scope, spot your own shots and still be on target for a follow up, it's too much recoil. Suppresor, brake or step down in cartridge.
"Insurance" comes from good shot placement not bullet diameter or energy on target. A 223 in the vitals trumps a 375 ruger in the gut or ham.
I get that but anybody with any skills should be able to put a round through the sweet spot and the difference in recoil in a 6mm 100 ish and a 7mm 140 -160 is minimal.

I get that but anybody with any skills should be able to put a round through the sweet spot and the difference in recoil in a 6mm 100 ish and a 7mm 140 -160 is minimal.
From a percentage standpoint on recoil if you mean to compare 100ish to 140/160ish at the same velocity, if by minimal you mean substantial, you are exactly right. In a like weight rifle you will achieve about double the felt recoil.
Aside from that , I actually prefer the performance of many of the 6mm and .257 bullets on narrow shouldered soft skin game. IMHO the OPs choice is one of MANY perfect options.

yeeeeeeah not sure bout that haha my 280ai sure recoils more than my 6 dasher and both going around 2900 fps but I also don't run a brake or a can in my rifles

While I agree a 7-08 isn't a heavy recoiling cartridge, it has about 33% more recoil than a 6cm with a 108 vs 150gr assuming the guns weigh the same. Hit probability with a 33% recoil reduction is a LOT higher.

I'm a below average sized dude and I have no problem with recoil from a 8-9 # rifle sending a 7mm bullet in the 140-160 range with no brake or suppressor. I mean if you are recoil sensitive by all means. I just think the 7's are the sweet spot. Once you get to the 30 cal magnums in an average weight rifle it starts to get real. Especially when the high bc bullets weigh 200 grains plus.

Last edited:
I know of 3 desert bighorns that were lost in the last 2 years that were shot with a creedmoor
Out of all the north american sheep species, desert sheep are the ones that are most likely to run after the shot
If you hit one marginally with a small caliber, you could be having a very bad day
There are lots of places for them to crawl in and die in those mountains in mexico
Its not like your hunting a dall in alaska lol

I might try to tell you to consider the 108 eldm, but run whichever is most accurate out to 6-800 yds.
They are typically the size of antelope and a guide usually recommends putting it through the ribs and nobody gets worked up on which cartridge to use for antelope.......
They are bigger than an antelope

I know of 3 desert bighorns that were lost in the last 2 years that were shot with a creedmoor
Out of all the north american sheep species, desert sheep are the ones that are most likely to run after the shot
If you hit one marginally with a small caliber, you could be having a very bad day
There are lots of places for them to crawl in and die in those mountains in mexico
Its not like your hunting a dall in alaska lol
If you hit one marginally with a large caliber you'd be in for equally as bad a day.

I would want a rifle/bullet combination that provided 99.99% probability of a complete pass through to afford the maximum blood trail. If it was my money on that hunt, it would be a 160 AccuBond out of a 7 mag, 280 AI, 28 Nosler or 7 Sherman (one variation or the other. My pick would be the 7SS). Something in the 3000 fps MV range and 1/2" MOA at 100 yds. The whole accuracy counts thing is never more true than when hunting the trophy of a life time. Taking the rifle out of the equation is the FIRST thing I would make sure of.

Comparing an antelope to any other species is really not a good comparison other than maybe overall target size. Their anatomy is built for ultimate speed, which means lightweight bones, etc. Their rib and shoulder bones are very thin and even "ballistically" constructed bullets will pass through them with ease and little expansion. They are certainly, IME, the easiest to kill big game species in North America.

Last edited:
If you hit one marginally with a large caliber you'd be in for equally as bad a day.
incorrect
You miss a little back with a 6mm it doesnt have an exit hole and the animal runs a long long ways with minimal blood lose
You miss a little back with a 150 plus gr bullet and its guts are dragging behind it and its not going 100 yards without laying down