6 Creedmoor for Desert Bighorn

Sheep are thin skinned and are fairly easy to kill when hit in the vitals. I'm sure that combo would work. My question to you is this. It's $40-70K for a desert bighorn hunt. The only chance you have at the biggest ram in the unit is 600 yds with a 15 mph wind. Do you want a 103 grain bullet bucking the wind or something bigger? Personally I want/need every edge I can get and would go to a bigger caliber rifle and bullet. Your money and your choice.
Bruce

Sheep are thin skinned and are fairly easy to kill when hit in the vitals. I'm sure that combo would work. My question to you is this. It's $40-70K for a desert bighorn hunt. The only chance you have at the biggest ram in the unit is 600 yds with a 15 mph wind. Do you want a 103 grain bullet bucking the wind or something bigger? Personally I want/need every edge I can get and would go to a bigger caliber rifle and bullet. Your money and your choice.
Bruce
Good points, thanks for the reply.. I was looking at the 6 because it is actually a tad better in that scenario than my 280 Ackley and almost identical to my 6,5x284 as far as drift and .4 mil better in drop. I had no idea it carried as well as it does until I started playing around with it.

And, I'm going to do everything I can to get significantly closer. I can shoot hell outa steel, put legs on it and maybe notsomuch...

Bruce
What about a 103gr 6mm bullet doesn't "buck the wind"? The weight, diameter or neither have any factor on wind drift?

What about a 103gr 6mm bullet doesn't "buck the wind"? The weight, diameter or neither have any factor on wind drift?
Generally speaking heavier bullets have a higher BC. A few comments in this thread mention that fact:

Like I said. His chosen bullet will do fine and has less wind drift than his other current choices. So it should do an excellent job for him.
Bruce

Bruce
This right here
I would go with you 6.5x284 as a min
Too much to lose
Remember, its not a question of if your rifle will work in ideal conditions. But, will it get the job done, if you are less than perfect and make a mistake
Too much at stake on a hunt like this

People have dumped elk, moose, sheep, goats, and the list goes on and on with a 6mm. 103 eldx should be money especially at that speed. Just like any cartridge wait for your shot and stay behind the scope if a follow up shot is needed. Good luck with your bighorn hunt and post photos once you get one!

I might try to tell you to consider the 108 eldm, but run whichever is most accurate out to 6-800 yds.
They are typically the size of antelope and a guide usually recommends putting it through the ribs and nobody gets worked up on which cartridge to use for antelope.......