6.8 western from 7 SAUM brass

I used 52 gr of IMR4350 with 150 gr bullet. It's the very low end of the load data. I had the same thought you did, so I loaded one at 53 and one at 54 but I can't get them to fire even with the extractor pin removed and the bullet getting jammed into the lands when closing the bolt
checked Hodgen load data and you are spot on with powder charges. if bullet is jammed and the case is held tight to bolt face there is no reason not to fire unless there is a powder or primer problem. if you have fired any other ammo without issue that eliminates the gun. pull down the ones that didn't fire and inspect primer and powder, check if primer fired and didn't ignite powder or if powder is clumpy. if possible try some factory ammo just to totally eliminate a gun problem. these can be the most annoying type of problems.

checked Hodgen load data and you are spot on with powder charges. if bullet is jammed and the case is held tight to bolt face there is no reason not to fire unless there is a powder or primer problem. if you have fired any other ammo without issue that eliminates the gun. pull down the ones that didn't fire and inspect primer and powder, check if primer fired and didn't ignite powder or if powder is clumpy. if possible try some factory ammo just to totally eliminate a gun problem. these can be the most annoying type of problems.
Good points. There is a dimple where the primer was hit which baffles me, you'd think they would have fired

Wouldn't expect our rifle chambers to vary that much. I used new brass and loaded it at the 2.940" COAL from the 2024 Hodgdon manual.

Going to shoot 15 more pieces of new 7mm SAUM brass with three different bullets tomorrow: Speer GS 130gr, Hornady ELDx 145gr, and the Nosler Accubond LR 165gr. All loaded with medium charges of Win 6.5 StaBall and COALs from the 2024 Hodgdon manual and the Lyman 51 manual. If I have time, I'm going to clean/anneal/load the once fired cases with the 170 Berger and a slower burning powder and measure velocity. I'd like to find out if lighter bullets form the brass as well as heavier ones. I'll let you know how it goes.
Brass with lighter bullets formed great but they didn't group like the Berger did on the first shots. Probably could've taken better pics of the cartridges/cases. Also need to lighten up on my crimp. All the cases are in good shape and fit well in a LE Wilson 6.8 Western cartridge/case gauge.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_7298.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7298.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 19
  • thumbnail_IMG_7301.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7301.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 14
Well, after all of this it turns out I had bad primers they were brand new, remington 9-1/2.
Switched to some cci primers and worked up to 54.5 grains of powder. Loaded ammo is firing every time and brass is forming properly. Thanks everyone for the help!

If all goes well you won't have to go this route much longer - ADG will soon have 6.8 Western available:

That will be nice!! Now if we can just get quality primers!! In 25 years of reloading I've never had a box of bad primers.