6.5x47 lapua or 7 RUM?

It wasnt because of under stability. In either case. Especially the 7 rem mag with a 140 grain barnes. Just ****** bullets i think.
I know that I can not make a 140g bullet that is pointy at all that will stabilize in a 9.5" twist let alone a 10" twist 7mm, which many are 10" twist.

Steve

Maybe it is the case then but the guy was shooting a chrsitenson 7 rem mag. So it most likely had a 9 twist then right? The 168 barnes had plenty of stability i would think. I dont know i guess but wouldnt the 30-06 have. 1-10 twist?

Thank you sir! Yes i was pretty let down on the performance of the 140 berger on this wolf. The first shot was in the X Ring through both fron shoulder and it penciled through keaving a quarter sized exit hole. The wolf was still fully alive so i shot it again through the midsection, where i thought it would not blow too big of a hole and would expire the wolf. But instead it blows a hole the size of a grapefruit and didnt even hit bone. Not acceptable for me. Both shots were from 100 yards also. I have no idea what caused this kind of performance because i have used bergers all together in ALOT of different calibers and killed LOTS of animals from little to huge and never had a problem at all. Every single one performed perfectly.

I have had very good results with the Berger 6.5 140 Vld-h as close as 200yds and out far. I would have thought a shoulder shot like that would have made a big hole. The only thing I can think of is maybe the hollow point was filled with lint or debris along with the wolfs thin body width. This season I have tryed to make sure my tips are clean before hunting. I like to keep rounds in the chest pocket of my jacket and I noticed it doesn't take long for the tips to fill up with lint.

also, if I were you in would NOT be sharing this kind of failures on any forum. it's just too much bad info for the anti Hunters to use in future arguments against us. and one more thing, I am 63 and have taken many animals both with gun and with bow and have only had this happen a couple of times. get on the ground and crawl if you have to to find any sign of blood or any indication that you are indeed on the right path. get help but do not give up. we have a responsibility to the animals to find and then eat what we harvest. Also a huge responsibility to each and every other hunter to recover any animal we have hit.
Sharing our failures and successes is how we learn and the purpose of this form.

Guys, I am so sorry I was so late in cleaning up the mess caused by two members.

They are now banned and the associated posts in this thread are deleted.

Again, so sorry for my tardiness.

I was hoping to see a little more love for the '47 in this thread. Honestly, a 22-250 is more than adequate for a wolf within reasonable ranges. I wouldn't draw a final conclusion from one video of a wolf running after being hit. Some animals just do that. He could have just as easily jumped straight up in the air, done a back flip and spun three circles. Canine leather is not particularly thick nor their bones particularly dense, if you don't include their skulls. A good 25 cal. or 6mm with the right bullet will more than turn the trick as well. I kind'a see the 6.5 as being the upper limit for a dog gun.

I was hoping to see a little more love for the '47 in this thread. Honestly, a 22-250 is more than adequate for a wolf within reasonable ranges. I wouldn't draw a final conclusion from one video of a wolf running after being hit. Some animals just do that. He could have just as easily jumped straight up in the air, done a back flip and spun three circles. Canine leather is not particularly thick nor their bones particularly dense, if you don't include their skulls. A good 25 cal. or 6mm with the right bullet will more than turn the trick as well. I kind'a see the 6.5 as being the upper limit for a dog gun.
I think this is correct. Although I don't have any problem with bigger. Shot my wolf with 338 lap imp.:p

Steve

325 wsm worked great on this guy!
1170901_10153200364975165_1896123726_n.jpg

I shot a coyote with a 140 Berger in 7 rem mag @ 200 yards. Rolled him, but penciled through. Ran off. Same results with my 270 win & 130 bergers. Rolled, spun them, but they all took off. I think the bergers need more mass to expand. Had the same thing happen w/berger 88's in 243 win. I was going for high BC, when I should of been going for a bigger meplat for quicker expansion. Like the 80 berger's in 243. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts