6.5x284

I think it is a fantastic cartridge. I bought one for a plains game hunt in SA and it worked flawlessly for me on game up to Kudu with 140 grain VLD's. they are hard to find ammo for and when you do itis expensive. If your going to hunt with it, its a great cartridge. If your going to shoot it alot you have to be a reloader of it just doesn't pencil out.

I think it is a fantastic cartridge. I bought one for a plains game hunt in SA and it worked flawlessly for me on game up to Kudu with 140 grain VLD's. they are hard to find ammo for and when you do itis expensive. If your going to hunt with it, its a great cartridge. If your going to shoot it alot you have to be a reloader of it just doesn't pencil out.

I agree with your assessment, and have experienced the same level of success over the years. I was drawn to the 6.5x284 when my intrigue for LRH had reached the point of no return…..About 15 years ago. While I have a few boxes of un-used 6.5x284 factory ammo(Norma) in my safe, for my hunting requirements, the capability to shoot to 1000+ yards(conditions permitting), I do not consider factory ammo sufficiently consistent for hunting much beyond 600 yards with any of my LRH rifles.. Just me,,,

Last edited:
The Cons are consistently as stated, lack of factory ammunition and lack of factory rifles chambered for it.
The PROs are many if you are a handloader. The cartridge can be stupid accurate with powders such as H4831sc and bullets like the 142 grain SMK and the AMAX. There are so many hunting bullets now, with such a wide variety. Way more than when my buddies and I started with the cartridge. Really effective on big game combined with really low relative recoil. Long action with the right twist makes for a very efficient and effective hunting rifle. I have owned numerous rifles in different cartridges but this remains my favorite.

Everything GreyFox said is spot on and he has a ton of knowledge & experience with this cartridge. He helped me out when I decided to get one. Like it was said before, it's stupid accurate. Plenty of power and low recoil. The 140gr VLD traveling 2950-3000 fps is kind of a perfect storm in this rifle. Don't count out the 124 gr Hammer Hunter, or my new favorite the 109 gr Absolute Hammer. Traveling at 3511 fps, it's hold on fur to 400 yards!!! My 6.5-284 is my dedicated pronghorn rifle. It's a joy to shoot. Plus, you can actually find brass for it currently in stock. And Petersen now makes brass for this cartridge.

Everything GreyFox said is spot on and he has a ton of knowledge & experience with this cartridge. He helped me out when I decided to get one. Like it was said before, it's stupid accurate. Plenty of power and low recoil. The 140gr VLD traveling 2950-3000 fps is kind of a perfect storm in this rifle. Don't count out the 124 gr Hammer Hunter, or my new favorite the 109 gr Absolute Hammer. Traveling at 3511 fps, it's hold on fur to 400 yards!!! My 6.5-284 is my dedicated pronghorn rifle. It's a joy to shoot. Plus, you can actually find brass for it currently in stock. And Petersen now makes brass for this cartridge.
Just curious
What is your favorite powder for the heavy bullets?
What powder for that 3500 109 AH?

I tried several different powders but the 4831SC has given me the best groups and the most stable loads. I'm actually shooting the 140 Grain Berger Elite Hunters right at 2800FPS because they shoot in one hole and the load is very consistent. I have had it as high as 3010FPS but could not get the group I wanted. One ragged hole is hard to beat.

As I read through here I can only say this is how a forum should run!!! Folks are giving legit info not just bashing on this or that. It's a polite discussion well done gents.
Probably because this thread is on the 6.5X284. If you have one or owned one you will say it's GREAT and if you don't own one or haven't shot it you will not comment.
The 6.5X284 is known, but not by a lot shooters. Probably a lot never heard of it.
In the 6.5 community it is respected just like the .260 Rem. Sometimes the newer Creeds, magnums, and PRCs are out there just because they are newer.

I had one because I wanted to shoot light bullets really fast.........it was toast in less then 700 rounds........but it sure was spectacular for 600 rounds and put a major whoopin' on some deer & groundhogs.

The best I could get is about 1000 rounds and was just unacceptable beyond 500 yds at 1100 so I replaced it. the next barrel i shot exclusively Molly coated bullets it went to 1600 rounds before it was in the same condition.

Factory savage longrange Hunter 6.5/284 no modifications. 6.5/284 performed well in 1000 yd benchrest.

Attachments

• CE2FDACE-77BF-4CF2-A6AA-59D0AE5B316B.jpeg
    CE2FDACE-77BF-4CF2-A6AA-59D0AE5B316B.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 98