6.5 Sherman build...

Both are excellent and the difference would be in what the rifle likes the best.
I heard you shoot this round too. Have you worked with MagPro at all in your reload experiments? Any load data/recommended starting points with these bullets and the powder?

I heard you shoot this round too. Have you worked with MagPro at all in your reload experiments? Any load data/recommended starting points with these bullets and the powder?

In my rifle MagPro was ok but other powders produced the same or better groups at higher velocities so I didn't pursue if. If it was all I could get I wouldn't feel too handicapped.

A starting point for 140's.
60gr MagPro
F215
3000fps ave.
low .4 groups (3 shot groups)

For comparison
My target load:
56.3-57gr H4831
cci br-2
2970 ave.
140 berger/140 A-Max under.2(3 shot groups)
142 Matrix single hole 3 shot groups:D

Hunting load:
160 Matrix
F210
6x.x gr. R33
3100 ave.
under .4" 5 shot groups

YMMV
Cliff

Update!

I just spent the past 45 minutes writing a post and somehow it just disappeared! BUMMER! Drives me crazy when technology fails me! Oh well, first world problems ;)

I just placed an order for 40 rounds of 280 Rem Norma brass this evening from Midway! At some point during the purchase I noticed an ammo sleeve for my rifle stock sneak its way into my cart as well. We'll see how that works out. (Not too worried about it since it was less than $4, but like the idea) This package should be arriving a week from today... hopefully sooner since it's getting down to crunch time!
I contacted Marshal at Matrix Bullets and placed an order for 100 rounds of his 150gr 6.5mm bullets, which he said he'd be shipping out on Monday.
A local dealer is expecting a shipment of RL33 early this next week and I'll swooping in to scoop some of that up!
Everything is coming together!!!
So my barrel was finally chambered today for the 6.5 Sherman, after several unforeseen delays with the the original reamer shipping. (Thanks for getting that out yesterday, Rich. In case anyone hasn't dealt with him and is on the fence cuz of that - the guy will go the extra mile in the customer service department! Don't let not knowing him stop you from checking out the amazing product he's created!) The barrel and action have been threaded. The action has been trued up and squared. After talking with my smith I decided to use a brake he builds himself rather than the Shrewd offered by Brownell's. He said his is of a higher quality and that he's haD much better luck with them on customer rifles he's put together and the cost will be the same.
I should be receiving my customized rifle early this coming week at which point I'm expecting the following:
  • fully glass bedded action
  • free floated barrel
  • custom radial muzzle brake
  • trued/squared/timed action
As soon as I receive the reloading components and the rifle, I'll be headed to the range to break this new barrel in and fireform my newly acquired brass. Once that's been completed, I'll be dropping the rifle off at a machine shop, that's been highly recommended by my smith and my smith friend who recommended the guys I'm currently using, where they'll be fluting my new Bartlein barrel. Currently, I'm struggling to decide whether or not I want to go with 5 or 6 regular flutes or make it unique and go with 8 shallower flutes... Either direction I decide to head, I'm hoping to shave at least enough weight off through fluting to drop it one full contour, even with the brake installed. I plan on starting the flutes about 6'' out from the action and having them cut all the way down to 1'' from the original muzzle or about 1/2'' from where the brake starts.
Right now I'm 2 weeks out from opening day for bear season and it's not looking like there's going to be enough time to get the Cerakote finish on the gun before I head out looking to knock a good looking blackie down... BUMMER! Hopefully I'll have the chance to get this rifle in to a local company that offers this product in between bear and deer/elk season, which is the time I'll really need it (the wet season here in Western WA).
I chatted with the company that offers the Cerakoting in my area this afternoon and the guy attempted to sell me on a product to coat the bolt body/group with - Micro Slick. Has anyone heard about this product for use on bolt guns? Is it worth the extra cash? I'm totally fine spending a little bit more if it's something that will make things smoother and last longer, but don't want to be hustled on a gimmick and since I know nothing about it, nor have ever heard of it, I'm a bit skeptical right now.
It's looking like I'm almost all set on components:
  • CCI BR2 primers (500)
  • Matrix Bullets 150gr VLD (100)
  • Norma 280 Rem brass (40)
  • Alliant Reloder 33 (2lbs)
I ordered the proprietary Weatherby lightweight Talley rings for the Vanguard this afternoon to mount my Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x44mm scope on the new custom setup this next week!
Everything's so close I can't hardly contain myself! I feel like a 4-year-old the few days leading up to Christmas when there's presents under the tree and I am only allowed to look! The anticipation is KILLING me!

Just got the rifle back this morning! It's looking better than I was expecting =)

photo.php

Going to drop this baby off to get threaded today or tomorrow. Let me know what you think!

I need help deciding on fluting...

Should I go with:
  • 5 flutes
  • 6 flutes
  • 8 flutes
What's everyone's vote on this subject?

Has anyone loaded these guys up with Alliant 4000MR? I can get plenty of that stuff and was told the burn rate is just a bit slower the RL33. Could I expect good speed/accuracy out of this powder choice?

Received the completed (except Cerakote) rifle this morning. My smith convinced me to do 6 flutes and went pretty deep with them. He took 12oz off the barrel! I mounted Weatherby's Talley rings today and I've decided the medium height I got are too tall and will be returning them for the shorter low option. My brass arrived today and my bullets should be here soon... powder was gone before I had a chance to snag any so I'll just settle for MagPro for now.
Pics to come =)

Here is the new "proud member" of the Sherman family:D Wil just got this together and was having trouble uploading the pics so I am giving it a try. Congrats Wil, IT'S A BEAUTY........Rich
6.5 sherman wilkup.jpg

6.5 Sherman wilcup pkg.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.