6.5 SAUM case from 270 WSM

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

Has anyone tried forming 6.5 SAUM cases from 270 WSM brass?
I've read a few old threads out there were this was briefly mentioned.
There is an abundance of winchester WSM bras out there right now so it seems like this would be worth trying.

It just didn't work well, the SAUM acts like a small base die on the WSM and the WSM brass does not form well as it's thicker and forms much harder than saum brass. I tried it for a couple days, annealing and all kinds of stuff and ended up with no real useable cases, made no sense when I can just order piles of SAUM brass with ease.

Thanks for the info.
I've hear a lot of reports that both Hornady and Nosler SAUM brass get loose primer pockets after 2-3 normal loadings, do you find this to be true?
My experience with WSM brass is that it's super tough and can be loaded at least 8-10 times.

Thanks for the info.
I've hear a lot of reports that both Hornady and Nosler SAUM brass get loose primer pockets after 2-3 normal loadings, do you find this to be true?
My experience with WSM brass is that it's super tough and can be loaded at least 8-10 times.

I use Norma and Rem SAUM cases but mostly Norma and don't have any primer pocket issues unless trying to push them to stupid, the Hornady is poop. WSM brass is really no different, the Win brass is utter crap, Rem will take the most and Norma is best quality and will last but you do need to back of it just slightly but not anything that would be an issue.

Go to the 6.5 SAUM Facebook site. George from GAP has done a bunch of testing with the new Hornady brass. It appears the latest batches are working out really well.

Hey there,

I've done it with nosler 300 and 270 wsm brass.... it is definetly more work... if I remember correctly you end up pushing the shoulder back about 0.100" or so.... it's a lot of brass to move then you have a lot of thick shoulder material in the neck that needs turned off... a lot more work than taking 300 or 7mm saum brass and necking it down. The wsm brass functioned fine but had a bit less powder capacity and required a bit different powder charge than the actual saum brass I had so I quit using it for the sake of consistency between batches of brass..

I use 300 saum brass in my 6.5 saum because I found a bunch of "old stock" 300 saum nosler stuff from when they sold it in 50 count boxes... now I can only find it or the 7mm saum in 25 count boxes that sells for more money/box than the old 50 count stuff did...

Have had no issues with the nosler brass as far as primer pockets loosening... have over 10 reloads on the first batch of 50 and 6 loadings on the second batch I made and both batches are still going strong... not pushing it hard, 3080fps on a 140gr bullet...

Orch

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.