6.5 prc

Yes I roll my own. Does a heavy grain bullet lessen barrel wear is it a lighter bullet or neither.

The reason I say 200 yards is to learn , make sure I'm doing things right and move on from there
You will learn plenty at any distance. I would go out as far as I could. It will definitely show you where you can improve. Plenty of head-scratching moments

It's not bullet weight it's velocity that's why if you run your load too hot it will wear the barrel out faster.

I want to get a bergara ridgeback, but the smallest caliber that comes with a 26 inch barrel is the 6.5prc .

Ok don't laugh to hard , but he's my question.
Can the 6.5prc be made into a 260.

I'm reading that the prc is a barrel burner. I'm thinking making it a 260 will extend life of the barrel.

I know it's derived from the ruger 300 short mag, so maybe that won't allow the 260 conversion.

Or just leave it alone.
As others pointed out The barrel would need to be shortened to get all the 6.5prc chamber out at which point how much of the barrel shank would be left? Also the 260 would need a smaller bolt head. You can get top velocity with the prc with only 57 grains of powder. So why fret? Shoot it and be happy. Speed kills. As another said just do not get it too hot with long strings. Do you buy a corvette and worry about how long the tires will last? If after well over a thousand rounds the barrel goes south rebarrel it. I really like Brux cut rifled barrels. Not that the bartlien and Krieger are not also very good. Cut rifling will last longer. Good luck

People worry about barrel life too much. If it's just a hunter it will likely be a decade before you shoot it out and when that happens have a new barrel put on no big deal

This. The only scenario barrel life should worry someone is really if they're putting high round counts on their barrels. For a hunting rifle sky is the limit get a 28 nosler if that's what suites your fancy, given the scenario it's unlikely it gets shot 1000+ times considering it's intended use.

Also one of the main purposes of the 6.5 PRC and subsequently the 6.5 SAUM was to be able to launch the heavier 6.5 pills at velocities unachievable by 6.5CM in normal pressure ranges. So 140s at 3000ish give or take is going to last quite a long time for a magnum. I think George has one with 2000+ rounds on one of his 6.5 SAUM builds. Now it varies, i know our 6.5 SAUM wont last that long if it were shot with long strings pushing what we're pushing, but it's a hunting rifle i had built for dad so it's perfect pushing 143s at 3075 out of a 23" tube.

People worry about barrel life too much. If it's just a hunter it will likely be a decade before you shoot it out and when that happens have a new barrel put on no big deal
At 72 I will probably wear out before my barrels. I shoot as much as I can. I can always buy a barrel.

I'm 58 with a artificial shoulder, so the barrel will probably outlast me too.
I always want a long distance gun. It sux it took me so long to get one.
Even if I don't realize my dreams of long distance shooting, ill have a cool gun. Not a bad thing. First I have to get the gun.

I'm 58 with a artificial shoulder, so the barrel will probably outlast me too.
I always want a long distance gun. It sux it took me so long to get one.
Even if I don't realize my dreams of long distance shooting, ill have a cool gun. Not a bad thing. First I have to get the gun.

I have Tikka and love it. I want to shoot long too.
I am 68 with shoulder ball replacement just keep shooting till I can't. You have Rottweiler as do I.

I have Tikka and love it. I want to shoot long too.
I am 68 with shoulder ball replacement just keep shooting till I can't. You have Rottweiler as do I.

So we have a lot in common. I have a tikka 7mms 08 that I was going build but decided to keep a deer gun. When I decided to get something already built.
Unfortunately Zeus passed a few years ago from diabetes. Who knew a dog could have that. It was terrible to watch him deteriorate to nothing in spite of all my money and efforts. I love rotti's . I even had one I taught to retrieve, dove, ducks, geese, rabbits. He was amazing. It was more him being so smart than me being a good teacher.
I miss that one, his name was rocky. He was my right hand man.sorry I could talk about dogs forever.

So we have a lot in common. I have a tikka 7mms 08 that I was going build but decided to keep a deer gun. When I decided to get something already built.
Unfortunately Zeus passed a few years ago from diabetes. Who knew a dog could have that. It was terrible to watch him deteriorate to nothing in spite of all my money and efforts. I love rotti's . I even had one I taught to retrieve, dove, ducks, geese, rabbits. He was amazing. It was more him being so smart than me being a good teacher.
I miss that one, his name was rocky. He was my right hand man.sorry I could talk about dogs forever.

Ok gotta tell ya a funny story. When I first taught rocky to retrieve, I took him to a farm that let like 20 people a day hunt.

So I killed birds and he brought them back to me. Other people killed birds and he brought theirs back to me too.
Guy said I thought he was a lab , until he came close than I saw he was a Rottweiler and I let him have the bird.I wasn't taking it from him.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.