6.5 Creedmoor to a 6.5 PRC

Lefty Lucas

Can a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel be reamed out to a 6.5 PRC and be OK? I looked at the chamber drawings and everything looked bigger and longer but I might have missed something that's way I'm asking.

Can a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel be reamed out to a 6.5 PRC and be OK? I looked at the chamber drawings and everything looked bigger and longer but I might have missed something that's way I'm asking.
A 6.5 PRC reamer will clean up the chamber body of a 6.5 Creedmoor. The neck and throat may need some additional massaging depending on the exact size of the CM chamber and the PRC reamer.

You do know the bolt face is different on those two cartridges?

For the sake of full disclosure, I suggest that you go over this in person or on the phone with your gunsmith after he gets the rifle. He can measure everything up and help clear up any slight variations with you in the chamber. Then select the reamer to get the chamber you want. Most GS will opt to set the barrel back one thread or more just to be safe with the new chamber and the clean up in the throat area. Be aware that some factory barrels are not the best or even ideal candidates for getting another chamber cut into them. Check with your GS first.

I looked at doing this. Yes the chamber can be enlarged. Yes you can replace the bolt or enlarge the bolt face. But then you are still faced with the issues of the magazine length. Most 6.5 Creedmoor are a true short action and getting a magazine that fits the 6.5prc would then be an issue. As well as being able to cycle rounds. I finally decided to use a donor Tikka T3 rifle as they are all long actions...

i have a big horn origin action with both the magnum, and 308 bolt face. my 6.5 prc shoots eldm 147 grain with the plastic tip squared off. they feed out of a magpul 308 mag with very little modification, and it will still feed the 6.5 creedmoor. i would think that it slows the round down some but it blew all the way through a 200 lbs whitetail at over 400 yds. the exit would was approx. 2 inch's. that was with the 143 eldx modified. you may have to modifiy the feed ramp on some guns but not this one. it only takes a dremal tool with a 1/8 " sanding bit. just my thoughts. great section. best part is you can put 4 prc rds in the plastic 5 rd. pmag.

Iam currently building am 6.5 Prc on an m77 long mag action and going to shoot berger 140 grs bullets out of and hardy carbon barrel 25 inch does anyone have any info on Hardy barrels thanks ? p/s got an great deal on the barrel

My brother is building a 6.5 prc on a savage wsm action, just getting a new barrel made to twist on. The magazine fit a 2.992 dummy round and seems to feed reliably. Cheapest option I've seen for a DIY.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts