6.5 Creedmoor Factory Rounds Preferences

Lets start with the fact that I am not a reloader. I don't intend to become a reloader. I have never hunted before. I'm also a relative beginner in any shooting sports.

Now that we have that out of the way, I am looking for a couple of different kinds of 6.5CM factory ammo.

I'm asking the question knowing that it might be like asking Chevy vs. Ford vs. [your favorite here]. But I would like experienced opinions since I know next to nothing about ammo except what I can find on youtube and internet articles. And we know that JUST EVERYTHING ON THE INTERNET IS ALWAYS THE TRUTH. ;-)

The first is a decent quality consistent range ammo as I begin to take up long range shooting. I'm not there yet, but I seem to be doing OK, exceeding my expectations. Currently out to 200 yards with groups in less than 1 1/2" shooting Hornady American Gunner 140gr. Of course, I want to go out as far as I can without being ammo-limited. Locally, I can get out to 300 yards. I will get to at least two facilities with a 1000+ yard range late summer. (Yes, I will be taking training.)

I also want a good hunting round or two or more depending on conditions and game. Something that with good shot placement can take elk or antelope at 350 yds. I want to give that a try once I get good long range skills. I expect to be in Utah and maybe Wyoming in September / October. Maybe Colorado as well. I will have an experienced hunter with me and we may decide on a guided trip. Might try a Missouri or Texas pig shoot sometime as well.

Platorrm is a Howa 1500 22" #2 contour in 6.5 CM on an Archangel stock with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24 x 50 FFP scope, Harris SLM bipod. I am the original owner and have carefully broken in the rifle using Howa's instructions. Now have about 120 rounds through it.

Or maybe this thread belongs in the "Getting Started" topic?

Thanks in advance for the support!
Hornidy match ELD

The Sig 140gr match stuff shot decent, and was 100fps faster than rated in my rifle. The Berger 140gr hybrid match was accurate but almost 100fps slower than rated. Just shot those for break in. And for the Lapua brass with the Berger ammo.

Check out Bergers 135 Classic hunter 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. I bought 200 rounds because it was cheaper than buying Lapua Brass and Berger bullets, let a lone powder and primers. Figured worst case I'd pull them down and use the components. Turns out they shoot phenomenally! Pulled a couple down to weigh powder charge and made a phone call to figure out what powder they were using as all I plan on tweaking after I shoot these up is seat depth to see if I can squeak out a touch more. ES was 15 over ten shots across my Labradar and right at advertised box velocity out of my 20" Proof barreled AR-10. Shot a Nilgai in Texas this January and he was DRT @ 320ish yards

In mine federal eagle 140otm shot .6moa to 300yd consistently.It had 12-14 fps ES depending on the lot. The 125 DEER XP from winchester is a nice deer and down bullet shot just under moa and was about 30fps faster than stated in my rifle. I've only shot one coyote at about 220 with that rifle using the 147 eldm. Folded up well. He was manged up so I didn't roll him over to inspect bullet performance. Large blood spot similar to what I'm use to seeing with a 75gn tnt at 3450 out of a 243, but not like a 87 V-Max at 3320 out of the same 243.
Elk Hornady precision 143elx Federal fusion 140 Remington makes a 140 cor loc. Berger 135 classic hunting At your distances all of these hunting bullets will work. The 127 Barnes load is another. I'd also consider having hammer bullets do load work up for your rifle. If they will supply you ammo or give you the load for copper creek you will have a load that will tickle 2950fps and be set up for your rifle. This is with a very lethal bullet!! that will hunt every thing on your list

I also had the best accuracy and repeatability with fed. American eagle 140 otm. The Hornady match in all weights was 2nd. Fed gmm 130 berger did not group.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.