.550" vs .600"?

MagnumMania

Can you tell me more about your A191 reamer design and what you like about it. How does it shoot and how do the throats last in the magnum calibers ?

Thanks for sharing
Hal
If you look up the specs on it you will see the base to shoulder length is shortened with the shoulder datum reduced. So, I design my reamers to suit. Throat length varies from cartridge to cartridge.
Now, the throat on the A191 300WM reamer has a throat that matches the 215g Berger and will not fit in a 3.4" magazine, in fact none of my custom magnums will. They are all long throated to suit heavy for calibre bullets. Normal 300WM throat length is .297", which places a 3.4" magazine length at a disadvantage from the start. Although fine accuracy can, and is, obtainable. 3.7" magazine length is perfect and what I use.
The throats are protected by the length of the bullets used and the elongated throat itself.
The case being tighter base to shoulder is what I am after, it is a positive all round with no drawbacks.

Cheers.

NONE, don't drive yourself looney worrying about this technical of a question in my opinion while hunting..that little un-noticed breeze will have a much greater effect in my opinion.

NONE, don't drive yourself looney worrying about this technical of a question in my opinion while hunting..that little un-noticed breeze will have a much greater effect in my opinion.

This........

Personally I'd go with the heavier contour to get that extra weight out front. I have a unwritten rule of not going sub .6" at the muzzle and no more than .65" (unless I'm going with the 375's-458's)

No.

What about amount of taper, like how fat is the barrel near the chamber end. The difference between .6 - .55 is only .05.

All of my barrels are on the heavy side, like muzzle diameters of .65 for .20's and more for 6mm to .30 caliber.

I have a .300WM that once had a light 27" Palma contour but the back end of the barrel was too fat for the nice stock so I had the barrel turned down to a #5 contour and accuracy was unchanged. COAL for the .300 WM loaded with 178 ELDM's for rodent shooting is 3.47 inches. Taper is more gradual than abrupt Palma contour having long shank.

I carefully filled the gap between stock & free floated barrel with epoxy then refinished stock - looks real nice.

Last edited: