450 Ackley fun! And a rookie mistake…CRIMP THOSE CARTRIDGES!

Calvin45

Had a little "Sunday gunday" fun with the brother in law after church this week. I'm thoroughly impressed with how manageable the recoil on the big boomer is for rapid follow up shots, but also learned my lesson. I've never had a rifle of this horsepower until now and was reminded that on cartridges like this, especially with big heavy bullets compressing powder charges, you do need to put a hard crimp on them or they do in fact "wiggle forward" in the magazine during recoil. Third round jammed up and at first I was dismayed thinking my Winchester m70 had a feeding issue or something. Nope. So that's an easy fix.

I freaking LOVE this rifle and cartridge combo. Winchester m70 safari express that started life as a .458 win mag and got rechambered to the mighty but obsolete .450 Ackley cartridge. That muzzle brake certainly does its job, as does the wide butt end with the pachmayr decelerator pad and the overall excellent fit and balance of the rifle. I've shot much "weaker" rifles that were more abusive than this thing.

Here's the video, it was fun, in the interest of humility the portion where it "Jams" because the third round grew a bit in the magazine is included as well haha.

480 woodleighs, 95 grains of h380, about 2300 fps and very mild pressure. Yeeehaww!!!! 😁😁😁

So, do you guys have prairie dogs up there?
I think they have them further south in the province haha, near the North Dakota/montana borders. This ought to be a heck of a coyote rifle tho 😁. Or maybe just the ticket for those supposed "super hogs" from Saskatchewan moving into the northern states…alas I've never seen one, just the mundane boring normal hogs here 🤣

They do talk about cloning and reintroducing the wooly mammoth. This is my mammoth cannon. Think of how many meatballs you could get off a mastodon!!!! 😋

Nice rifle and cartridge. My 450 Rigby was just under 9lbs loaded with 4 in the mag. 458 Lott was 8.5lbs loaded with 5 in the mag. None had brakes, but they sure didn't kick like my 9lb 505 Gibbs…
I wish I hadn't had to sell my custom 404 Jeffrey, it was mild in recoil and hit like a hammer.

Cheers.
haha yeah that .505 is no doubt on a whole different level again. That .404 sounds very cool as well, that cartridge has a sort of timelessly "classy" vibe