357 mag & whitetail

The old Speer Lawman 125 grain bullets have been really good for me, loaded well above published data with H110, cases eject easily. Deer and elk have been killed with these loads and recovered quickly. A couple were bang flop kills low-ish in the crease behind the shoulder and exiting the brisket.

The old Speer Lawman 125 grain bullets have been really good for me, loaded well above published data with H110, cases eject easily. Deer and elk have been killed with these loads and recovered quickly. A couple were bang flop kills low-ish in the crease behind the shoulder and exiting the brisket.
"Killed with these loads and recovered quickly " ?? Oh, I get it. 😄

Have only killed 1 deer with a factory Remington 158 JHP. Shot center shoulder, exited behind the opposite shoulder. Ran 30 yards and piled up.

Shot a squirrel about 20 yards that wouldn't quite barking at me. Bang flop.

And I have killed quite a few pigs over my dogs. But those are point blank behind the ear hole. Not really a fair comparison on bullet performance.

I'm going to have it with me this year again with the same bullet.

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpeg
    IMG_0469.jpeg
    769 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5543.jpeg
    IMG_5543.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0116.png
    IMG_0116.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Handguns such as revolvers don't necessarily use energy to kill. Tissue destruction is what matters more than energy when it comes to incapacitating an animal. I even believe this is true for rifles as well.

If energy alone was the sole source of killing power, archery hunters such as myself would never kill game based on the energy level achieved compared to that which most people spout off as necessary for killing.

While I have not yet hunted deer with a 357 mag (I currently use a 44 mag) I certainly would not hesitate to use one. I have used a 10mm to finish off three deer and one hog, and the 10mm worked great. Put a good bullet in the right place and you'll put the animal on the ground.