357 mag & whitetail

Winchester Super X 145 grain silvertip hp's are loaded hotter than anything I can reproduce reloading, and they are extremely accurate and devastating from my S&W 19.

Just curious if anyone uses there 357 at close range. If you do what's your favorite factory load and/or hand load.
I'd like to bring mine out this year in case of a closer encounter....
It will certainly work, but the results may not be earth shattering.

Many years ago, I was in my late teens at the time, I was using using my Model 28 S&W for deer hunting.

I had an opportunity to shoot a coon up on a tree limb. The shot was about 20 yards, I shot the coon behind the shoulder, you could see where the bullet hit, the coon sorta "hunched-up" so I quickly shot again. This time it was a poorly placed "gut shot"! The coon rolled off of the limb, hit the ground and ran for about 30 to 35 yards before expiring.

I should add, this was only a 4" barrel and I was using a 160 grain jsp, Not an ideal combination. In the early '70's with limited data and the wisdom of a teenager, probably not a great combination! 😜

I suddenly reconsidered using my .357. Perhaps a lighter, faster expanding bullet would have helped……but I wasn't overwhelmed with the results witnessed! memtb

Last edited:
18 grains of H110, 140 XTP in TC Contender 12 inch barrel about 1700 FPS. I've killed several deer with this. Not big northern bucks, but 90 to100 pound doe and young bucks to 120 pounds. Most shot through the lungs are found under a hundred yards. Neck shoot them and drive the Kubota up to the blind site scoop them up.

18 grains of H110, 140 XTP in TC Contender 12 inch barrel about 1700 FPS. I've killed several deer with this. Not big northern bucks, but 90 to100 pound doe and young bucks to 120 pounds. Most shot through the lungs are found under a hundred yards. Neck shoot them and drive the Kubota up to the blind site scoop them up.
I've shot XTP's out of all my muzzleloaders and they are great bullets

I have taken quite a few critters over the years with a 158 JHP. Including a few cow elk.

I switched to the 105 Cutting Edge just last year. Complete pass through and near bang flops on a few critters in Texas. I am running the 105 this year in Wyoming. I am getting far better performance out of the CEB bullets than any cup and core I have used.

Spohr goes HUNTINGThe Spohr revolver came in about two weeks ago and hunting season is just never long enough. I elected to do something new, I headed to Texas to …
https://handgunhuntingafield.blog/2024/03/21/spohr-goes-hunting-2/

I have taken quite a few critters over the years with a 158 JHP. Including a few cow elk.

I switched to the 105 Cutting Edge just last year. Complete pass through and near bang flops on a few critters in Texas. I am running the 105 this year in Wyoming. I am getting far better performance out of the CEB bullets than any cup and core I have used.

Spohr goes HUNTINGThe Spohr revolver came in about two weeks ago and hunting season is just never long enough. I elected to do something new, I headed to Texas to …
https://handgunhuntingafield.blog/2024/03/21/spohr-goes-hunting-2/
Powder and charge weight? If you don't mind sharing. Thanks

I shot a blacktail many years ago with a .44 magnum at about 70 yds. Hit it a little high and hit it's back at an oblique angle. It put the deer down but I finished it with a head shot. Butchering the deer, I found out I didn't even lose 2 inches of meat either side of the bullet path in the lions.
As a long time rifle hunter, I was surprised at the difference in power. I've shot several deer with a 6.8 SPC rifle since but it's performance walked all over the .44.
I'm not against hunting with a pistol but believe those that do so need to be more disciplined about picking their shots and distance. Perhaps the best analogy I could come up to rifle hunting would be to those who choose to hunt subsonic. Their velocity might not match a .357 but the bullet weight and accuracy might be better. Neither set up is as forgiving as rifle hunters maybe used to when not everything goes to plan.

I shot a blacktail many years ago with a .44 magnum at about 70 yds. Hit it a little high and hit it's back at an oblique angle. It put the deer down but I finished it with a head shot. Butchering the deer, I found out I didn't even lose 2 inches of meat either side of the bullet path in the lions.
As a long time rifle hunter, I was surprised at the difference in power. I've shot several deer with a 6.8 SPC rifle since but it's performance walked all over the .44.
I'm not against hunting with a pistol but believe those that do so need to be more disciplined about picking their shots and distance. Perhaps the best analogy I could come up to rifle hunting would be to those who choose to hunt subsonic. Their velocity might not match a .357 but the bullet weight and accuracy might be better. Neither set up is as forgiving as rifle hunters maybe used to when not everything goes to plan.
You have one handgun hunt under your belt and drew that conclusion?

How's that for a handgun wound channel on an elk?

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpeg
    IMG_0308.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 27
E=1/2*mV^2

Anyone who thinks hunting a big game animal with a handgun is as forgiving as with most hunting caliber rifles is not being realistic. All I am pointing out is that those who choose to hunt with a .357 should be discerning about picking their shot selection. I don't think the OPs post about close range runs counter to my input.

I've read articles about people shooting coyotes at 400 yds with a pistol. I've also read stories about people who tried to defend themselves against a bear with a 22 LR. That doesn't mean i would try it myself.

There are limitations to hand gun hunting. Stay in the lanes and its good. Don't try stuff beyond the capabilities of the bullet. 50 yards is my max for handgun shots. If it's beyond that I just watch or pickup the Grendel.