357 mag & whitetail

vern.284

Just curious if anyone uses there 357 at close range. If you do what's your favorite factory load and/or hand load.
I'd like to bring mine out this year in case of a closer encounter....

I killed a good MN buck at 60 yards with a Python back in 94' with a then pretty new Hornady XTP. A little high in the ribs and 3 inches posterior of the heart. It took him about 200 yards to fill up and start leaking and 300 yards total to done squirting and dead. It was my biggest MN buck at the time at nearly 300lbs on the hoof. Expansion was ok, but zero shock. Had I not been in the open farmland with a bit of snow I mave struggled to find this one. It was the beginning and end of my straight-wall pistol hunting days.

I killed a good MN buck at 60 yards with a Python back in 94' with a then pretty new Hornady XTP. A little high in the ribs and 3 inches posterior of the heart. It took him about 200 yards to fill up and start leaking and 300 yards total to done squirting and dead. It was my biggest MN buck at the time at nearly 300lbs on the hoof. Expansion was ok, but zero shock. Had I not been in the open farmland with a bit of snow I mave struggled to find this one. It was the beginning and end of my straight-wall pistol hunting days.
Good to know. East Coast deer i I wish got that big

I took this whitetail with my Dan Wesson 357 using 158 grain Hornady JSP at 58 yards.

2016 Buck.jpg

With my Freedom Arms 357 I can easily extend the range to well past 100 yards.

IMG_E6441.JPG

Good to know. East Coast deer i I wish got that big
After reading back my post, I don't want it to sound like the 357 can't get the job done. With better placement that deer would not have lasted the minute it took him to tumble. It was just alot different than what I was used to, and I had cussed myself for using the pistol every minute I tracked that deer. I felt better when I found good blood and relief when I got hands on him, but by then I had sworn off the snake for deer.

I had a Dan Wesson full kit, wish I still had it. With that said I would not shy away from the 357 but you need velocity and I would use one with at minimum 6". The Ruger Blackhawk 7.5" would be pretty high on the list. I would also lean toward heavier bullets.

I had a Dan Wesson full kit, wish I still had it. With that said I would not shy away from the 357 but you need velocity and I would use one with at minimum 6". The Ruger Blackhawk 7.5" would be pretty high on the list. I would also lean toward heavier bullets.
I'm getting mixed signals from your post. You mentioned needing high velocity and then say lean towards heavier bullets? Not sure you can have it both ways.
I have no experience with the 357 but the Hornady XTP works well in the 44.

Years ago I hunted with a GP100, just because rifle hunting was getting a little boring. Took several deer using Federal Hydra-Shok's.

I'm a dense wood stand hunter in NY. So we are talking maybe 30 yards. Anything further will be the 30-30 or 35.

I appreciate all the tips keep them coming.
Anyone used the Lehigh solids?