.338 win mag

outdooraddict

OK I have read alot of threads on here about variuos things. I know the most important things are practice, experience, and ethics. I shoot once a week usually plinking with my 22 or 22-250. I will not take a shot on a anything unless there I am sure it will be a clean shot. I am not looking at taking 1k shots, Im looking more twards the 500-600yrd range. I am going to buying a rifle for the sole pupose of elk hunting. I have a limited budget at this time and want to put a good scope on my gun which I have already determend will be a nice lupy. For my rifle I was looking at the Savage 116fhsak in 338 win mag. Because it doesnt need a trigger job is pillar bedded and has a brake for under $700. Am I on the right track for a sub 1k yd gun? thank you all. Buy the way when the wife finishes nursing school I plan on something better but for now this ball park will have to do.

I started with a savage and loved it, They shoot real good right out of the box. I would prob bed the action, and adjust the trigger. The 338 would work good for that range and farther. Sounds like you pretty much know what your doing. If 600 was going to be your max you could go with something like 300 mag, 7mm mag, 7stw or a 280. Im partial to the 300 mag myself but I think i might try 7stw next.

Your choice is an excellent one. Go with it! That large caliber, heavy bullet has much more whammy on elk sized critters than the others mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts