338 NM build

cjholler

Thought I would share my build with everyone. So far, I gathered all my components and their at my gunsmith's Shop. The action is a left hand defiance renegade. It wears a trigger tech special with a flat shoe. The pipe is a steel 20" proof 338 heavy Palma 1-9.4 twist. The stock is a left hand chalk Branch in winter pine. Bottom metal is Hawkins hunter BDM. The Glass is Leica PRS 5-30x56I with PRB Reticle. The rings are Zeiss UL med Rings with level. This will mainly be a hunting rig. I will be using monos in 225-250 gr and be shooting 250 Berger for plinking. The barrel will be threaded for hybrid 46M. This should be a handy rifle with some reach. I know people hate short barrels but when wearing a suppressor balance matters. Plus this rig will come in handy hunting dark timber. Bought all my build supplies last Black Friday and cyber-Monday. The Norma is replacing my 338 SS which also sported a 20" barrel running the same suppressor. I will post load data and weight once complete.

Great can so far, even when I had it on my other 338 Norma. Only thing wrong with that one was it was built on a right hand action.

Ha - I'm back and forth on the can. Keep telling myself to just spend the $$ on the thunder beast but don't know if it's THAT much better. Thanks for the input !!

I started with one and now have two! If you do end up getting one, ensure you get the deal where they throw in a 22 can. Of course you just have to pay tax stamp. Plus I have heard the wait time has improved quite a bit.

Thought I would share my build with everyone. So far, I gathered all my components and their at my gunsmith's Shop. The action is a left hand defiance renegade. It wears a trigger tech special with a flat shoe. The pipe is a steel 20" proof 338 heavy Palma 1-9.4 twist. The stock is a left hand chalk Branch in winter pine. Bottom metal is Hawkins hunter BDM. The Glass is Leica PRS 5-30x56I with PRB Reticle. The rings are Zeiss UL med Rings with level. This will mainly be a hunting rig. I will be using monos in 225-250 gr and be shooting 250 Berger for plinking. The barrel will be threaded for hybrid 46M. This should be a handy rifle with some reach. I know people hate short barrels but when wearing a suppressor balance matters. Plus this rig will come in handy hunting dark timber. Bought all my build supplies last Black Friday and cyber-Monday. The Norma is replacing my 338 SS which also sported a 20" barrel running the same suppressor. I will post load data and weight once complete.
You'll like that 338NM for a reach out'n'smash something tool. Never pondered 338NM as a dark timber/structure clearing selection. :) :) :) But, for absolutely destroying something several zip codes over, it is Tony The Tiger G-R-E-A-T!!!! It's on the verge of replacing the .50BMG in military for heavy hitter status. I "built" a 27" 1.94 twist 338NM......OK, ya' got me....."My CC went shopping at Barrett." MK22 Deployment Kit also came with a 26" 8twist 300NM and a 20" 8 twist 308W bonus, and a bonus "freebie" Hensoldt Spotter 65.. Each caliber shoots lights out consistent 0.5 MOA with factory ammo, me being the limiting factor in the equation at my age, or it would shoot better, and if I reloaded to really optimize it. At 75, that extra 0.25 MOA is probably out of my personal limits any more...hoping you live long enough to comprehend that..... and not worth the heartbeats chasing. Both the 338 and 300 are HARD hitting lasers. Finding factory ammo is the problem. Last I found was at Outpost Armory in Murfreesboro while I was training at Barrett. Bought all they had in house....$3500+. With a NF ATACR 7-35x56 it is 17lbs, but comfy for the 338NM recoil. But, broken down into a custom backpack with RRS tripod and spotting gear, it's still readily humpable, quick and very repeatble re-assembled. Hoping against reality for the SHUSH Act passage to get non-NFA suppressors for it and several other MRADs and M107A1s. Enjoy your new heavy hitter.

To me any rifle that shoots one MOA or less five round group is good to go. They won't replace the 50 cal. They having been working on the light weight machine gun in 338 NM forever. Only people who got to play with it were in SOF before I retired. I have carried a XM2010, if memory serves me right it weight roughly 17 lbs being light infantry, I won't carry anything over 13.5 lbs. how do you like your switch barrel set up? I am set up for hand loading so I am not worried about price of ammo, got 20 lbs of H1000 and time to play on the reloading bench.

I have a very similar RH build but went 26" because I was still stationed in CA and suppressors weren't an option. I have the Leica in the Zeiss rings also. I have since started shooting my Banish 46 on that rifle and it is very comfortable to shoot. Enjoy!

Recent Posts