338 Lapua Rebarrel

WITH HAMMER BULLETS. I have typically found descent groups (at least to continue with the bullet/powder combo) at .050" off the lands. Some folks jump them pretty far, but if they won't show potential at .050" jump, they just may not be liking that barrel.

Last edited:
Call Eric at Axisworks in Tempe, AZ. They do great work and he can help with whatever you need for long range.

What bullet were you intending to use when you chose a 1-8" twist and have you tried it? That just seems really fast for 250 or 300 gr Sierras, or even the 235 gr Hammer Hunter.
Hill country rifles suggested the "NEW" 1-8 twist as being the new norm. I was green to long range shooting and precision reloading when I placed the order for this rifle. I went thru my old shooting record and found these. The rifle did shoot really well at .015 off the lands but I cannot use the magazine! My frustration for the last couple years is finding a good shooting load at Magazine length.
IMG-2899.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-2898.jpg
    IMG-2898.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
Hill country rifles suggested the "NEW" 1-8 twist as being the new norm. I was green to long range shooting and precision reloading when I placed the order for this rifle. I went thru my old shooting record and found these. The rifle did shoot really well at .015 off the lands but I cannot use the magazine! My frustration for the last couple years is finding a good shooting load at Magazine length. View attachment 448155
With those groups, I would just say I have a single shot and go with it.

3.745" COAL with a 300 Berger gets me .030" off the lands. This fits in the Accurate Mag in my Savage for internal mag length of 3.750".

Surprised that Sierra doesn't shoot better with a jump though.

With that mag length. Try the 300 class bullets. I think it may get you there. Worth a shot.

If changing between bullets, clean the copper out before chaning. Especially if you have been trying the Hammers. Some play well with different metal make up, some do not.

I'd talk with Hill Country first. If it doesn't shoot, they may be able to fix it before dropping +$1k on a new barrel.

As far as carbon wrapped barrels go, it's a good time to be alive as there are several manufacturers to choose from. You can run a Proof, Paradigm, Carbon Six & Bartlein to name the ones off the top of my head. I wouldn't have a problem with running any of them.

t
Rock Creek Barrels makes a good carbon as well. Albany Wi