338 Lapua Rebarrel

ajkellerusmc

I have a Custom Hill Country Rifle chambered in .338 Lapua that has never shot well. I am ready to try a new barrel due to my non ending frustration of trying to get this rifle to shoot. Factory or Homegrown loads have produced less than good and consistent results. I have tried premium ammo and assembled the best components and I am continually disappointed. I have maintained the barrel and have cleaned it down to bare metal and there is no carbon ring to hamper my efforts at accuracy. I have tried powders, primers, bullets and different cases and "cant get no satisfaction" after 477 rounds down the pipe. Current barrel is 1-8" twist 27" stainless steel mounted to a Defiance R1 action.
I think I might want to go with a carbon fiber wrapped barrel to lighten the gun for hunting. So! if you were going to replace the barrel on this rifle what barrel manufacturers suggestions would you recommend (as well as twist rate and length) and WHO would you recommend to do the work. I am in Arizona and would rather take the gun to a smith here than have to ship it out of state but all suggestions would be appreciated.
My other option is to sell this rifle and forget I ever wanted one!
Thanks for the help.

I currently own about 11 rifles chambered in 338 LM and all of them shoot extremely well. No secrete here, but one thing I noticed that you mentioned, and that is the constant cleaning. I don't because it upsets the accuracy. I took advice from John Krieger (Krieger Barrels) who I'm sure you know.

I have a Custom Hill Country Rifle chambered in .338 Lapua that has never shot well. I am ready to try a new barrel due to my non ending frustration of trying to get this rifle to shoot. Factory or Homegrown loads have produced less than good and consistent results. I have tried premium ammo and assembled the best components and I am continually disappointed. I have maintained the barrel and have cleaned it down to bare metal and there is no carbon ring to hamper my efforts at accuracy. I have tried powders, primers, bullets and different cases and "cant get no satisfaction" after 477 rounds down the pipe. Current barrel is 1-8" twist 27" stainless steel mounted to a Defiance R1 action.
I think I might want to go with a carbon fiber wrapped barrel to lighten the gun for hunting. So! if you were going to replace the barrel on this rifle what barrel manufacturers suggestions would you recommend (as well as twist rate and length) and WHO would you recommend to do the work. I am in Arizona and would rather take the gun to a smith here than have to ship it out of state but all suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for the help.
I'm running a one and 9.3 twist 28 inches long from bartlein.

How old is it? Manufacturer not willing to help? Having a Hart 1:9 installed on my edge. Don't think you can go wrong with most of the premium barrel manufacturers. Should be able to find a good smith in Arizona, long range shooting is far more popular there than most of the east and midwest. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. Good luck to you sir!

I'd talk with Hill Country first. If it doesn't shoot, they may be able to fix it before dropping +$1k on a new barrel.

As far as carbon wrapped barrels go, it's a good time to be alive as there are several manufacturers to choose from. You can run a Proof, Paradigm, Carbon Six & Bartlein to name the ones off the top of my head. I wouldn't have a problem with running any of them.

t

Thanks for the help.
Kenny at desert precision is from AZ may give him a call.

How old is it? Manufacturer not willing to help? Having a Hart 1:9 installed on my edge. Don't think you can go wrong with most of the premium barrel manufacturers. Should be able to find a good smith in Arizona, long range shooting is far more popular there than most of the east and midwest. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. Good luck to you sir!
Rifle was built in 2017

First, call Hill Country Rifles and convince them that they need to do something. They built it and charged you for that privilege. They should make an effort to find an answer for you.

Simply saying .338 Lapua is not a guarantee of accuracy or precision. It's the whole assemblage combined with your ability to make great ammunition and your ability to manage the rifle while shooting. Some barrels (few) fail to be able to shoot acceptably.

If HCR is no joy,

Carbon Fiber wrapped barrels are absolutely no guarantee for either accuracy or precision. You might save a little weight but check those numbers before spending twice as much for barrel.

Is this rifle bedded STRESS-FREE?
What bullets are you using?

Is your scope a known best quality for shooting? (Are the screws tight)

I have no reason to shoot the .338 Lapua since the .338 Norma Mag. entered onto the scene.

Rifle is bedded and screws are torqued, barrel is free floating. Scope is a Kahles and is tight.

I think I might take a step back and go thru my loading records, apparently I did have some accurate loads at one time but my memory is somewhat short and I am comparing this rifle to some factory rifles I have in 6.5PRC and 65 needmoor that shoot 1 hole groups with my hand loads.

I have used 250 and 300 Sierra HPBT with decent results. Lately I have loaded 235g Hammer Hunters for Elk and so far am not getting what I want.

Excellent!:D

It never hurts to check or ask.

You bullet choices are fine also. I don't shoot any 300 grain bullets in the Lapuas I test or the .338 Norma Mag. But that 235 Hammer Hunter is a terrific bullet!

:)
killed a buffalo last year on the blue rooster hunting ranch with that bullet. It was not much of a hunt, what was interesting is my shot was at 235 yards with a 235g Hammer!

Last edited:
How far off the lands with that Hammer?

I tried a few with mine in 213gr range. Showed some promise.

Never in a million years would I have thought about shooting a lightweight out of a 338 Lapua. When I replace this barrel I too will be looking lighter. Even thinking about the superlight monos for that one just for fun and laserbeams.

Last edited:
How far off the lands with that Hammer?

I tried a few with mine in 213gr range. Showed some promise.

Never in a million years would I have thought about shooting a lightweight out of a 338 Lapua. When I replace this barrel I too will be looking lighter. Even thinking about the superlight monos for that one just for fun and laserbeams.
I am seated all the way to the top of the first ring at .185" off the lands, Hammers are not supposed to be critical of seating depth but at 1.5MOA, I am going to seat them longer. My magazine length will let me seat out to .067" off the lands. Perhaps I should start there instead of the full depth where I did start.