338 AM assembled, pics....

Thanks Fifty, I can't wait to see how she shoots. Bye the way, if your clients send you all the parts, action, stock, barrel, trigger, muzzle brake, ect, how long does it take you to complete a project.

Oldfamily,

Well, I believe this is the first time a pic has been taken of all the currently available Allen Precision Shooting rounds including the Allen Xpress and Allen Magnum rounds. I will list the wildcats and the parent cases they are based on:

396961.jpg

Left to right: 224 Allen Mag(270 WSM), 257 Allen Xpress(300 Dakota), 6.5mm Allen Xpress(300 Dakota), 270 Allen Xpress(300 Dakota), 257 Allen Magnum(338 RUM), 6.5mm Allen Magnum(338 RUM), 270 Allen Magnum(7mm or 300 RUM), 277 Allen Magnum(338 Lapua), 7mm Allen Mag(338 Lapua) and finally the 338 Allen Mag(408 CheyTac).

Thats the family and more to come such as a 300 and a 375 will probably be next.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Wildcat,

If the customers supply all the parts at one time it would be around 4 months to get worked in the work schedule and finished.

If I supply all the componants, its around 8 months total after receipt of deposit.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby that is some good looking kids, in the family. You don't have any plans for say a 6mm based off a wsm? I got to get my ai project together first. Very impresssive, now I got to change shirts just drooled all over the one I have on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If only I would hit the lottery, keep us posted I would not want to be a coyote in front of your house.

Wow 172g of H2O. I ran a ballistic and drop chart for the 350g at 3200 fps at an altitude of 10,000 out to 4000 yards very impressive to say the least.How long is the neck on the 338 AM?
Crow Mag

Oldfamily,

Of the new Allen Magnums in the works, the 510 AM is the closest to being actually throwing bullets. Just waiting on the 34" Lilja to rebarrel my AR-50.

After that, I am looking at a 6mm(yes on the WSM with very heavy bullets) as well as a 300 and a 375 Allen Mag. The 375 will be basically a necked up 338 AM with no other changes.

The 300 Allen Mag is still up for debate. We have talked(Richard and I) about necking the 338 AM down to 30 cal and using some EXTREMELY heavy 30 cal bullets. This makes me a little nervous but it may happen yet.

Necking the 7mm AM up to 30 cal would be far more practical but I am not sure if it would produce enough performance to be worth the time. It would certainly out perform the 300 RUM but it would not beat the 30-378. STill it would be a better design then the 30-378 so that design would still have some merit, we will see.

Generally, anytime Richard and I talk for more then 5 minutes, it ends up lightening out check books significantly!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Crow Mag,

Common neck length after trimming square is between 0.305 and 0.300" in length. Not overly long but plenty of hold on these big bullets with proper neck tension.

Yes, if that 350 gr pill hits 3200 fps, it will be most impressive. In my soon to come 16 lb 338 AM, this will be an amazing big game rifle, that is if it works as planned which it should.

I personally feel a 410 gr 375 bullet to the same velocity would be even more impressive!! Recoil starts to clime though.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, so what will the dimensions be for your 338 AM hunting rifle? I'm thinking it will have a longer than 30" barrel to fully use the case capacity and what velocities do you think you'll get with a 300 gr and 350 gr bullet?

Also what will the expected barrel life be in rounds fired? And cost? I guess it will be more than $3,000?

Lets see now if I win a second prize in the lottery AND recruit a sasquatch for a gun bearer...Nice to see someone push the envelope anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fifty, I think most of us on LRH have come to expect that anything you produce is going to shoot great but I love the color scheme on this one ALOT!!!

Black sunshine is going to be one mean looking piece of work!!! 7mmRHB

Alremkin,

The barrel is a custom contour 32" Lilja. The receiver is a BAT 1.55" diameter 8.5" long single shot. The stock is a McMillan A-5 finished as light as possible. Not sure on the brake yet. Probably try one of the big Hollands. If this does not reduce recoil enough I will machine a four port design of my own if weight allows. Rifle has to be under 16 lbs ready to hunt with for my Idaho hunt this fall.

I am hoping to get 3350 fps with a 300 gr pill and hoping to break 3100 fps with the 350 gr.

To put this into perspective, my 338 Kahn(338-378 Wby with 35 degree shoulder) will get 3050 fps and 2800 fps with the same bullet weights but in a 34.5" barrel so its roughly a 300 fps increase in velocity with same bullet weights in a 2.5" shorter barrel. Nice step up in performance, recoil as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

I would suspect we will get 1500 rounds of accurate barrel life for big game hunting with this chambering. Its so hard to predict this. Depends on how hard you push the round and how much you shoot it in one setting. I generally do not run full tilt pressures so I am pretty confident that 1500 rounds will be possible with big game hunting accuracy.

Price wise, drop me an e-mail and I can get you an idea of price.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Yes, Now I just have to get her matte finished and Freight shipped down to get teflon coated!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

She will look pretty serious when finished!! One of these days I will have to bring her down and play with you boys a bit down south!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hey Kirby if your heading down south to play you better gas up that truck of yours and keep drivin south, all the way to the hell hole that is Oklahoma right now!!!

We have completely skipped spring here and went from 30deg and windy as hell to 95deg and sweating my butt off!!!!

hell maybe I should just move to Montana, may need to put some lead shot in my pocket for y'all's wind though

take it easy
steve

Kirby,

any time you get the urge to come down just let us know . The chucks will be in SERIOUS trouble waaaaaaay out there.
-----7mmRHB---

Kirby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You shouldnt have any problems with the 32" bbl on your hunting rig, my 33" bbl gets 3400fps, that is about top load with BMG 50. I havnt had time to test any of the 350 grn pills yet. I put on a Ti brake, Holland style, very light!

I am just about ready to test the Ti reciever and carbon bbl gun. Feels great, well balanced. I'll send ya some load data when i get it.

DAve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts