308 win barrel length and twist rate?

Mike Rock owns Rock Creek barrels and was instrumental in developing the M24 rifle at Aberdeen Proving Ground for the Army. Just in case you never heard of him.
This is from 10 years ago...

I would like wish Kim and Lloyd great success with the new Ownership and Management of Rock Creek Barrels. Also hope Mike Rock enjoys many years of retirement. I hear Lloyd and Kim have some great new plans for Rock Creek Barrels.
Nat Lambeth

I found that as you jack the RPM up, the load tune can get real picky vs having a wider spread on powder that will shoot small group. Also, if you are going to shoot 200g+ bullets, throat for that bullet. If you want to shoot 125s, have a proper throat for that bullet.

The whole idea of having the fastest twist with the longest throat to accommodate the heaviest bullet is not proper thinking on how to build a rifle, when you want to shoot 168g bullets and lighter.

Also, if you want to shoot the heavies, I suggest that you consider the Lapua small primer brass. Dimensions in the web are very different between the Lapua and Winchester brass, your reamer choice will be critical to the project.

I didn't comment on chamber design which can make a meaningful difference depending on bullet design, weight and other factors already mentioned. I personally like the PMII chamber which was basically intended for military match ammo and the MK 175 with a longer throat. I called Dave Kiff at PTG to make me a reamer, he said his tactical match reamer was close but still had the specs for a PMII. Much of what has been said in this post is fairly specific for a specific application, ie short fast twists builds for certain conditions which are viable for the intended purpose. I tend to lean towards LE sniper rifles (which many are transitioning to shorter more maneuverable weapons) but mine are more traditional designs that work for me. This group was shot with a Brux 1-11 medium palma. On a good day I can do this at two hundred. Five rounds in the group, aiming at the hole left.

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpeg
    IMG_0550.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 36

Recent Posts