.308 Teka 3

The 180 Barnes in a 308 is to heavy. Step down to a 165 or even a 150. Also you must start with a very clean bore. Barnes do not typically like fouling from other bullets. Your outfitter may want you to shoot that particular bullet but it is not mandatory. If it is , find another outfitter. One last note. Moose are big critters with a big vital area. Any bullet that will do 2 moa will be able to do the job out to 500 yards. Way father than any person would likely be shooting at a moose with a 308.

I did try the 166Gr Hammers in my .308 12 twist and even though it was a sub moa group it kicked like 2 mules and a donkey. Definitely need a muzzle brake. 4 shots and pulled the last one.

Attachments

• 20230411_130238.jpg
    20230411_130238.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
I did try the 166Gr Hammers in my .308 12 twist and even though it was a sub moa group it kicked like 2 mules and a donkey. Definitely need a muzzle brake. 4 shots and pulled the last one.
I have the same problem the 180 grain Barnes kick bad. After two to three shots I pull them all I can think about is the pain to come. Lol

I am reloading for a moose hunt and the guide wants me to shoot Barnes triple shock 180 grain bullets. I have tried, win 746, Varget and I am just not getting the precision I want at 100 yards. Do any of you long time reloaders have a good load to try? I am getting groups of say 3" or more. I am not a constant reloader so I have a few go to loads for whitetail but the heavier bullet just won't fly as well as the 150 grain. I am thinking of trying TAC but am wondering if it will be any better than what I have.
I just want to thank everyone who replied for all the knowledge. I am new to reloading for true accurate shots. So I am taking all the recommended stuff I am learning and will try them out. Thanks Randy

Actually Barnes has much different recommendation off their load data website.

====================================
When loading a Barnes TSX, Tipped TSX or LRX bullet, your rifle may prefer a bullet jump of anywhere between .050" up to .250" or more. This distance off the lands (rifling), aka "jump" may be limited to the rifles throat length, magazine length and bullet length.

When selecting the cartridge overall length (COAL) we recommend starting with a minimum "jump" of .050" off of the lands. You can test different seating depths and find a "sweet spot" that your particular firearm prefers. We suggest working in at least .025" increments as follows seating the bullet deeper to allow a further jump. Your test plan could look something like this:

1st group- .050" jump
2nd group- .075" jump
3rd group- .100" jump
4th group- .125" jump
5th group- .150" jump
6th group- * see below

This length can be determined by using a "Stoney Point Gauge" or other methods. You do not have to seat the bullet at, or on one of the cannelure rings. Remember there are many factors that may control or limit the seating depth for your application. You may find that you need to start at around 0.150" off the lands and are not able to get any closer due to limiting factors including proper neck tension and magazine length.

*In rifles that have long throats you may be limited on how close you are able to get the bullet to the lands. In these instances, it is not uncommon to find the best accuracy with a jump of .200" or more.

This jump may possibly stay the same regardless of powder or charge weight within a given rifle. If preferred accuracy is not obtained, we certainly recommend trying another powder, for the powder type and charge greatly affects the overall accuracy of each individual firearm.

FYI- An accurate load requires a bullet with the proper consistent case neck tension which leads to more constant pressures and velocities.
Well said Muddyboots!

I like the 150 Nosler Balistic tips. They are extremely accurate in the load I use and do a great job of exploding in the whitetails I have harvested. I can't see why that bullet would not be suitable for a moose
Then run that. If you put the bullet where it needs to go, the moose will die. If you don't, nothing short of a literal cannon will help.

I've shot every moose I've killed inside 200 yards with a bullet weighing less than 150gr. Both mono and cup and core before I switched to monos. Don't let anyone tell you 308 isn't enough. It's more than enough.

Moose don't wear armor, and like most larger animals, shooting them in the hams doesn't kill them, but in the vitals does.

I'm a big fan of Nosler ballistic tips , for White tail Deer , in my 270 Win Rifle. They do explode inside the deer and do incredible Heart and Lung damage. I love them for that particular application. However, I do not think that they are the best bullet for moose, and you may wish to consider an Accubond, or even better a Nosler Partition, among others. IMHO Good Luck to you!!

I am reloading for a moose hunt and the guide wants me to shoot Barnes triple shock 180 grain bullets. I have tried, win 746, Varget and I am just not getting the precision I want at 100 yards. Do any of you long time reloaders have a good load to try? I am getting groups of say 3" or more. I am not a constant reloader so I have a few go to loads for whitetail but the heavier bullet just won't fly as well as the 150 grain. I am thinking of trying TAC but am wondering if it will be any better than what I have.
The T3 has a 11T, I have one. 308. I load 39.5 gr of IMR8208XBR with 208 Amax and 210 VLD. BOTH shoot a 0.626 MOA at 100 yds. 2427 FPS AT 0 altitude. The 168 VLD and Hunter Classic is 0.5 MOA with 42.4 gr same powder 2744 FPS.

The 180 Barnes in a 308 is to heavy. Step down to a 165 or even a 150. Also you must start with a very clean bore. Barnes do not typically like fouling from other bullets. Your outfitter may want you to shoot that particular bullet but it is not mandatory. If it is , find another outfitter. One last note. Moose are big critters with a big vital area. Any bullet that will do 2 moa will be able to do the job out to 500 yards. Way father than any person would likely be shooting at a moose with a 308.
I bought some Barnes bullets for my elk hunt last year because they were the only 338 caliber bullets I could find at the time. I really don't care much for the Barnes bullets because it is difficult to find a load that works well in my rifle. I have a strong preference for Sierra Game King bullets for accuracy. The Nosler partition bullets are OK, but you have to push them up around their maximum load rating to get them to shoot accurately. The reason seems to be that the bullets are so hard because of the web across the middle that they do not obdurate into the lands of some rifles very well. On the terminal end they work as advertised if the shooter does his/her job.

Recent Posts