308 kicked @$$

My Son has killed three deer using an AR Pistol in 300 BO shooting 220 grain bullet.He has a can on it and you do`nt even need hearing protection.Cost $200 for the Stamp and $600 for the can.Well worth the price of your hearing

Well I put a brace on the 308 barrel, it still kicks like a mother. As for a muzzle break, I can't afford to lose any more of my hearing (according to wife) so I'm looking for a trade in 7-08 or 243. Thank you'll
Id recommend a different stock with a nice recoil pad i completely upgraded my 308 and it recoils like a 243 now with 180gr loadz. just depends on what you want to spend and how much you like your current rifle . Or go to a 243 they are an excellent deer gun if your not shooting beyond 500yards

Id recommend a different stock with a nice recoil pad i completely upgraded my 308 and it recoils like a 243 now with 180gr loadz. just depends on what you want to spend and how much you like your current rifle . Or go to a 243 they are an excellent deer gun if your not shooting beyond 500yards
This is for the encore pistol

Try a linear compesator instead of the brake. A little more kick but the noise goes down stream toward the target.

Well I put a brace on the 308 barrel, it still kicks like a mother. As for a muzzle break, I can't afford to lose any more of my hearing (according to wife) so I'm looking for a trade in 7-08 or 243. Thank you'll
Just go for the precision armorment hyper tap. Expensive but its the best.

Yeah, that's about the same as where I hunt in Indiana. But regardless if someone has time to put muffs on or not, the difference between a .243—>>.308 is moot. Hearing damage will occur with both/any rifle cartridge coming out of a short barrel, or any barrel for that matter. That's the point I was trying to make. OP isn't gaining anything by switching calibers on the noise side of the situation. Ps I run a suppressor and I think The ATF should be abolished along with anything that goes with it.
While I absolutely agree with your statement for using hearing protection, I will say that not all hunting situations lend themselves to putting on/in protection before taking the shot. When I hunt in AZ, it seems like I have all the time in the world to get ready before a shot. When I hunt in PA, opportunities last mere seconds. More than not you don't have time to put on protection before taking a shot. My solution is a suppressor which isn't as good as muffs but much better than nothing.

Then I can't hear the deer
Try electronic noise clipping/cancelling ear protection. Actually amplifies nature sounds for better acoustic awareness, but clips the ear damaging impulses of the shotgun blast. WIN-WIN solution. Many designs and features to select from. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....or Hearing is in the ear of the prudent

Then I can't hear the deer
If you keep shooting without ear protection you won't be able to hear either. Plus your autonomic nervous system will anticipate the muzzle blast and your body will automatically develop a flinch!!! I had a 7mm-08 (Browning micro-medallion) with a muzzle break on it, it was the noisiest rifle I ever owned. Less recoil, yes by all means, but........muzzle blast was terrible. I have a 23% hearing loss in both ears from shooting at an early age (60 years ago) without ear protection, now almost as deaf as an anvil. Vanity prevents me from getting hearing aids. I know some people hunt with ear protection, however I do not hunt it on, but...............this is he only time that my ears do get exposed to muzzle blast.