308 enough for brown/polar bear?

Arken7mm

Have any of you ever taken a brown bear or polar bear with a 308 rifle? Is 308 enough for those size dangerous game? I'm more referring to a defensive gun to stop a charge instead of a long range hunting rifle.

I've read stories and reports that the Danish govt has soldiers on Greenland that have used 308 rifles and 10mm hand guns successfully against polar bears for years.

I was thinking about a 308 semi-auto rifle that can hold at least 20+ rounds like the AK M77, Scar 17 or HK G3/PTR style rifles where you can fire off more rounds quicker than a bolt action or Marlin lever gun.

Ammo? Barnes TSX/TTSX, Swift A-Frame?

Yes…..but absolutely "Not" my first choice!

Bullets…. Barnes in what would be considered heavy for the .308 Win. In an attack scenario……Your not worried about long range velocity loss affecting expansion, you want maximum penetration ! memtb

Considering that when I worked in the north the natives shot them with a 223, and still do, the 308 should work just fine. The northern Rangers used 303 British for 70 years, and have just switched to 308. Those both get used a LOT to hunt with and none of them were ever used to ward off attacks by foreign forces that I know of.

Last edited:
Have any of you ever taken a brown bear or polar bear with a 308 rifle? Is 308 enough for those size dangerous game? I'm more referring to a defensive gun to stop a charge instead of a long range hunting rifle.

I've read stories and reports that the Danish govt has soldiers on Greenland that have used 308 rifles and 10mm hand guns successfully against polar bears for years.

I was thinking about a 308 semi-auto rifle that can hold at least 20+ rounds like the AK M77, Scar 17 or HK G3/PTR style rifles where you can fire off more rounds quicker than a bolt action or Marlin lever gun.

Ammo? Barnes TSX/TTSX, Swift A-Frame?
Do not worry about other people's thoughts; ask yourself if it is enough to save your life.

What gun would you want now GRIZZLY BEAR.jpg