300 WSM

Good Morning, I am just curious about the reach for extra velocity out of a short barrel rifle with the case already at max capacity? Seldom does extremely high velocity result in the best accuracy. More powder is seldom the answer, especially when the case is at 100% and dealing with such a short barrel. If you were to shoot the firearm and watch from the side you will invariably see a large plume muzzle flash. That is powder burning outside of the barrel where it will do absolutely no good. Short barrels are a trade off, ease if handling for a lesser muzzle velocity. If you want to increase the MV then try a lighter bullet, or better yet quit the search for a higher velocity and turn your search toward accuracy. A bullet hitting exactly where you want it is more valuable to a hunter than one that goes fast but doesn't hit its mark.
Excellent analysis - and it's always about bullet placement.

I've got a short barrel (16.5") Scout Rifle in 300 WSM I loaded with H4350.
I maxed out on velocity and case capacity without reaching any pressure signs.
Need a faster powder?
Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks, Dave.
Faster isn't always better just remember tight groups if you want an accurate rifle it's not always about the speed

you might want to try Ramshot Hunter. I shoot a 30-6.8 western which has about the same usable case capacity and Hunter will get 60-75fps for the same pressure and lower case fill, it also has a better burn in short barrels than H4350.
if you can get an extra +/- 75fps and keep your accuracy it will extend your max range while keeping min velocity for proper bullet expansion making the experiment well worth it.

Hey Sock,
I've been working with 165 Power Hammers, and I topped out at 2920fps. I don't know how realistic it is but was hoping to goose another 100fps or so out of her with a powder change.
This is my first attempt at load development to compensate for a short barrel length.
I think I've got some Big Game kicking around.

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_2791.png
    IMG_2791.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2790.png
    IMG_2790.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 12
Pictures above are with the 168 Hammer HHT out of a 24" barrel. First one is 64.0g H4350 second is max I attempted (no pressure) at 65.5g

Attachments

• IMG_2791.png
    IMG_2791.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2790.png
    IMG_2790.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 9
A simple bullet change like going to a Berger 168VLD will extend your range with less wind drift. Plus a box of bullets is cheaper than 8lbs of any powder these days.

Need a faster powder?
Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks, Dave.
The two powders I use in my 300WSM's are RL26 and Superformance with the 168 gr TTSX. RL26 is about 100 fps faster but nearly impossible to find. Case fill was close to 100%. Superformance seems to be widely available and 67.5 gr under the 168 still has a bit of room to go both in terms of charge wt and case fill. This is my accurate load in 2 rifles and velocity is approx 3050 fps in 24"bbls.

Need a faster powder?
Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks, Dave.
RL16 is what I use in my 270 wsm. I've found that 58.2 grs will shoot any 130 gr bullet well, from .3 to .7 moa, ~3050-3187 fps. In my 2008 mod 70, which I love.
RL16 is slightly faster then H4350. You might get 100-150 fps more depending on the bullet weight.
It's a shame the wsm's have lost support from Winchester over the development royalties. Or whatever it is. The wsm's case sizes are in that light mag range, perfect for hunting imo.

Currently running 168 HHT in a 22" 1:10" and getting 3160 with N560, able to push it close to 3250 but not without significant pressure signs.

I also use N560 for medium to heavy (175 TA, 175 lrx, 205 bergers, 210 vld, 200 eldx) with good results with accuracy and velocity.