300 WSM AR10

Yessir, it feeds the first cartridge well. It came with a Magpul, and I got an all steel one to try. It did the same thing. What would cause the bolt not coming all the way back ?

A lot of possibilities. Some are: under gassed. Adjustable gas block closed to much. Gas port not properly aligned with the gas block hole. Buffer spring/buffer not correct for the application.
Gas key not tight or came partially loose on
bolt. Could even be not enough lube or buffer binding.
The list goes on

I think, after reading this thread and seeing that very smooth feed ramp, I'm going to work on that first. Don't cost ALOT, and I am able to make time. Thanks for being here!

A lot of possibilities. Some are: under gassed. Adjustable gas block closed to much. Gas port not properly aligned with the gas block hole. Buffer spring/buffer not correct for the application.
Gas key not tight or came partially loose on
bolt. Could even be not enough lube or buffer binding.
The list goes on
Yeah, I think I just dove down ANOTHER rabbit hole! It'll be fun, tho.

Good luck with troubleshooting. I might mention if the feed ramp is rough, you can usually see scratches on the bullet or the case of a fed round. Instead of firing the round, you just carefully eject it for inspection.

Good luck with troubleshooting. I might mention if the feed ramp is rough, you can usually see scratches on the bullet or the case of a fed round. Instead of firing the round, you just carefully eject it for inspection.
Good point, thanks. The cases ALL seem to get beat up a bit, even the ones that fire, so maybe the best starting spot, eh? Polish feed ramps 101 for beginners. Class starts ...tomorrow!

The now AR's shooting 223 and the AR10's with 308 are ok, but the AR was designed for the 5.56. Th e7.76 was the M-14 which I HIGHLY respect. good firearm and no problems, get it tweaked to a Match M-14 with match 308 rounds and you have a competitor.
Myself does not Truley advise in a AR10 for a 300 WSM. Just get a good bolt rifle with a good barrel.
All this talk about heating up barrels with the AR16A1 PHHHHHHH. Must be dumping mags at a range. If your in a situation you're not going to use more than SA and never flip your Selector switch to FA unless being over run and no hope.
Sounds like some TV Movies where the
Marines/Army storm the village or take an offensive position and the shout everything they got out to thin air.

That barrel glowing was not second hand information. Was a firefight, FYI USMC
Semper Fi Been there the
That barrel glowing was not second hand information. Was a firefight, FYI USMC
Semper Fi. Been there done that. our unit sneaked are round and full auto was only for an Almo, We only carried 14 - 30 round mags(420) and 2 bandoliers (400) several canteens of water AND 20 YEAR OLD C-Rats IN A STUIP Alice Pack. Everything we ate was from the end of the WWII. We had a Grenade and a light machine gun m-60. (Which we all took turns carrying). We all carried the extra 60 ammo belts. We carried, and saw some of those barrels turn red, F*** I got burns all over my neck and back from live brass landing on my neck and rolling down my camo firing next to the 60 of a 16
C-Rats issued for 3-4 days and often out for 7+. One time for 30+
Semper FI!!!! ONE OPP!!!!

Factory. Military, in fact. New rifle, about 200rds thru it. Not factory built. I don't think it's double feeding...thats trying to strip two cases at once from the mag, yes? Feed ramps are kind of rough. It's almost like the ramp is so steep that the case head goes back down into the mag and the bolt continues on its happy way past the rim into the cartridge body. My very first AR, so don't know much about them.
OK. First thing. You said it is factory and then you said not factory built. Which one? You stated not factory built, who built it and are you sure it was assembled correctly? You can experience 2 rounds in the ejection port area at the same time resulting in one or both being shoved into each other when the bolt slams forward. I have seen this. I had a bad mag. The follower was allowing release of two rounds at a time. Look at that. Look carefully at feed ramps. If the edges are burred, this is suspect. Using 2 or 3 dummy rounds, load them in a mag and cycle them to see if you can see anything catching or snagging. Since you mentioned it seemed like the case head goes back down, take a good look at the mag followers. Have you tried to duplicate this issue with multiple mags? If so, try using a different mag type/manufacturer. Sometimes a gun won't run with a certain mag. Try a different one. Let me know what you find.

I'm kind of a stainless barrel person. I'm also kind of anal about polishing before I ever start to assemble the barrel to the upper receiver. The feed ramps I make into a mirror and rounded so the sharp stainless isn't shaving the copper on the way into the chamber. I also bought a grinder made to true the face of the uppers to the barrel surface. I use Loctite when tightening the M-lok style barrel nut.

If the BCG is whacking the side of the case as the bullets feed. I would look at being under gassed or over sprung on the buffer spring for the pressure of the rounds being used. You already changed mags so that might be ruled out.

I believe in doing things right the first time. Saves you grief later! :)

Attachments

• feed ramps.jpg
    feed ramps.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Good advice by all! I was wondering about the factory or home built part also. But he has things to check out now and hopefully figures it out as he inspects/corrects. Maybe he will get back to us on what he i finding.

Recent Posts