300 win Mag vs 280 AI

G19Jeeper

I have a dilemma, not a real one but one in my head and you know how that goes. I have two very similar rifles built on the same lightweight concept but in different calibers. If a guy HAD to choose one OR the other, which should it be?

1. Kimber Montana .280 AI with LHT 3-15x42 shooting 140 gr Nosler at 3068 fps (both BT and Accubond). This yields 1544 ft lbs at 450 yds. Weighs right at 7 lbs scoped with full magazine and is very well balanced.

2. Bergara B14 Premier Mountain .300 Win Mag shooting 180 gr Accubonds that yield about 1800 Ft lbs at 450 yards given a 2950 fps start velocity. Weight is about 7.5 lbs scoped and loaded.

My question is, for any game in America one may potentially hunt (excluding moose and big bears), would one be undergunned keeping one over the other? For the record, I am better at shooting and feel more comfortable on the 280AI with a brake than the 300 without a brake. I have two 9.3x62s for big mean stuff but want the infamous "all around gun". This is of course fantasizing about future hunts, I do not regularly hunt big game and have not hunted out west yet. My dream is a moose hunt but that's a few years out.

Pics added cause that's too many words to grab someone's attention. T to B: Sako 75 9.3x62 in McMillan stock, now wears a Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6; Ruger 77 Hawkeye Lipseys 9.3x62mm with Razor LH 1.5-8; Kimber Montana .280AI LHT 3-15x42; Bergara Premier Mountain 300 WM Vortex LH 3-15x42 and a Marlin SBL 4570
20240701_185738.jpg

Last edited:
The 300 WM you can get almost anywhere in the world. The 280AI is close and will do about anything you want. Shot placement is the real important thing. Knowing your rifle and how it handle is more importment than anything else. Get your pet load and shot out to at least 500yds and where to put the scope to hit those distances. A muzzle break would help in managing the recoil. One more thing I would put a trigger in it thats adjustable and go to lighter pulls. Heavy pulls make the rifle harder to handle to complete the shot.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the 7mm. The list:
7mm weatherby magnum
7mm rem mag
280 AI
7mm PRC
I most recently chose the 7 PRC over the 300 PRC due to the difference in recoil and I figure unless I'm going on an Alaskan moose or bear hunt I don't "need" the 300.

Look at loads with the hornady 162 gr eld-x or sierra 165 gr tgk. If you're a shoot thru bone type the hornady 160 gr CX has a .593 bc which will help maintain energy out to distance.

The 280 is a very recent addition so I haven't begun load development for it yet but I plan on shooting the sierra 165 gr tgk.

For the record I've killed A LOT of elk with the weatherby and not once wished I had "more gun".

The only thing I want to be punished when I pull the trigger is the animal I'm aiming at! Lol

Why not install a brake on the 300WM, run 215b Berger Hybrids, and have the best of both worlds?
Agreed! I understand it is not for everybody, but I have used MBs since 2003. Interestingly, the .300 WM (I have 3) was the first chambering I had an MB installed. I am not recoil-sensitive, but why not? An effective MB serves two purposes: reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise. Often, the latter is not realized. Being able to spot the target on impact is priceless.

Most of my rifles now sport a muzzle device. Below is a Savage 111F in .300 WM with Holland's QD MB (my first MB in 2003). I still have it today, but it will need re-barreling soon.

Antelope on Savage 111F .300 WM.jpg

Last edited: