300 Weatherby at 1000yards?

I dont want to ''hi-jack'' this mans post, so Ill be brief. I own a Model 70, Winchester xtr sporter, cahmbered in 300wby mag, factory from Winchester with a 24'' bbl 1;10 twist.
Because of the short''pipe'' and the fact that i handload, my 300wby isnt as fast as what Roy Weatherby intended.IMO. although I dont yet have a chronny to prove just how much slower I am, common sense tells me Im not even close to most wby's, but probably still squeaking past a 300 win. Anyway Im new to handloading, and still following the recipit's out of Hornady's 7th edition trying for accuracy.
My best loads have grouped 5 shots of the same load in anywhere from 3/4'' to 1 1/4'' groups at 100 yds usually I get about 1 1/8''.(my best loads too date) Some of the variation ,Im sure, is all me(the shooter) thus I keep loading and shooting as often as I can to achieve better performance from me and my rifle.

As for ''Special markings on special rifles'' Ive hered of this, but know nothing of its credibility. Neat if its true though.

Well, a .300 Wby. Mag. set a new record not too long ago. The guy shot new, virgin cases to do it. No surpirse as folks have typically got best accuracy with new belted cases at long range anyway.

A friend used one some years ago for 1000-yard matches. His barrel lasted about 800 rounds before it went south; common for such way overbore cartridges. He got best accuracy with Sierra 200 grain match bullets. IMR4350 or H4831 were his powder choices. Folks shooting magnums in competition have never got best accuracy with really slow powders producing high muzzle velocities. They prefer their bullets land in a small area dead center in the target, not necessarily be the ones to get there the fastest.

If one can manage the recoil as the bullet's going down the barrel, they will shoot very accurate at any range.

All the Weatherby rifles I've ever had squat to do with have had 'free-bored' chambers and my experience with 'free-bore' chambers and the ultimate in accuracy are very far apart!!

Every factory Weatherby I have (4 so far) will shot under 1/2" pretty easy. My 300Wby Accumark best to date was 3 1/2" group at 885 yards with 200gn Accubonds. With 210 Bergers at 3050fps it piles them into a very small group shot after shot. I shoot a hole into the paper and if I can't at least cut that hole with every shot I am off my game. Same for my 257Accumark with a Holland brake on it. It got a lot better with the brake. It cut my 1/2" groups in half shooting 110 Accubonds. I'm not afraid of a little freebore.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.