300 wby vs 300 win mag

i am looking to determine the best all around caliber recoil and price are not an issue

thanks
As I'm generally late for the party, if I attend at all......here's my valuable insight! 🤪

Recoil difference.....insignificant! Factory rounds ......WM much less expensive! Hand loader.....Weatherby brass.....much more expensive! Weatherby.....customarily uses 26" barrel, WM a 24" barrel to get an additional 150+fps higher mv! Weatherby.....typically has much greater freebore to lower chamber pressures. Help or hurt potential accuracy.....the jury is still out!

I reserve my opinion! 😉 memtb

US military has bunches of 300 Winchesters to deal with bad guys out past 7.62x51 range. Civilian/police use 300Wins too. Kenny says if you want a magnum for big game and DONT handload get a 300 Winchester. He should know. He's hunted every Continent.

Last edited:
The 300 Weatherby is simply a blown out 300H&H case. lt was thought up by wildcatter Roy Weatherby. lt takes a special long magnum action. The 300 Winchester Magnum is shorter and fits in a standard 30-06 action. Granted, you get a tiny bit more speed with Ole Roy's wildcat. The 300 Winchester beats Roy's 300 six ways to Sunday in the ACCURACY department. Accuracy is to quality as speed is to quantity. l choose quality over quantity ANY DAY🤗
Just curious. How many 300 WBY rifles do you or have you owned?

Weatherby Mark 5s, yes. 300WBYs, N O N E!
I dont own a Dodge either. Like shooting a 300WBY.
l've driven enough to know l DON'T ONE:(
I had a Chevy that was a lemon....according to your logic, all chevies are worthless..
I have 5 rifles in 300WBY ALL tack drivers..
I have 2 300WIN, all shoot well.
You can have any caliber that doesnt shoot...thats the rifle...not the caliber...
Its OK to have opinions, we ALL do. Just some of us have experience with what we comment on

I'd have to go with the ol win mag on this one. Ammo and brass are more readily available. The extra fps you gain with the Weatherby doesn't amount to a lot in the real world and if speed is the main factor a properly chambered 300 win mag can be loaded out long (3.6 coal) and head spaced off the shoulder to rival and possibly surpass wby speeds. I get 3085fps with 208gr eldz from a 24" tube

not sure you know what you're talking about, seems to be generic bs you're parroting that you read somewhere, rather than actual, physical experience with both cartridges along with multiple others as a direct comparison, 30 caliber has been my world for 30 plus years and I can assure you the 300 Wby is capable of same accuracy as the 300 Win Mag, same with the 30-378 Wby
I can't think of a single military or police agency that is using or has chosen the 300 weatherby for a SWAT or sniper role. I'm not saying the bee is not accurate, but it's doesn't quite shine like the WM in the accuracy department, and this is well demonstrated anywhere in history you care to look. The weatherby is popular-ok, it just never had the competition following that the WM had, sorry to burst your bubble, son.

I can't think of a single military or police agency that is using or has chosen the 300 weatherby for a SWAT or sniper role. I'm not saying the bee is not accurate, but it's doesn't quite shine like the WM in the accuracy department, and this is well demonstrated anywhere in history you care to look. The weatherby is popular-ok, it just never had the competition following that the WM had, sorry to burst your bubble, son.
You are not bursting my bubble. My favorite rifle is a Model 70 CRF in 30.06. I appreciate every caliber for what they are designed for. If you can make a 300WM beat a 300WBY, then I will use the same conditions (load long?) on the 300WBY. Will it still beat it? Or did you mean sup up one and keep the other standard?

Just because something is more popular it does not mean it is better. The VW Beetle was produced for 60-80 years depending on how you count. Does it mean its better then all other cars? Would you buy a new one today to be your main mode of trasportation, in the heat of Texas or Cold of North Dakota> They made of 20 million. Popular yes, better NO!

We all have favorites, we all have opinions. But to quote another shooter from another forum "There is no replacement for displacement"

not sure you know what you're talking about, seems to be generic bs you're parroting that you read somewhere, rather than actual, physical experience with both cartridges along with multiple others as a direct comparison, 30 caliber has been my world for 30 plus years and I can assure you the 300 Wby is capable of same accuracy as the 300 Win Mag, same with the 30-378 Wby
Bingo.