300 rum

You certainly found pressure I'd think.🚀
What a wicked machine it HAD to be.

Seems I was around 3250 if I remember. Been 20+yrs
It was 3360 with 180 Barnes TSX and TTSX. I settled on 99.0 grs. Retumbo. Very accurate and a bone crusher. I'd like to try my new barrel with 215 Berger and 92 5 gr. N570 on an elk long rang. I just don't want to lug it up and down mountains at 14 pds. 😉

I did the same with my first 300 rum. It was a factory Remington with a 26" barrel. I was shooting 100 grains of retumbo with 180 swift sciroccos at 3400 fps. I shot it about two years without a brake then I decided I wasn't man enough and had a gentry Brake installed and I was much more consistent with it.
I shot same rifle same load for years. Backed down to 99.0 grs. and had CDS dial made for load. I didn't wait long to put magna brake on. It was somewhere between 1994 and 1996. Right after 300 RUM came out. Brakes were new also. Not sure if Magnaport's Magnabrake was first or not but I believed their 40% recoil reduction claim. Kicked like a 308 win. after. Going to bed brother's.
I can't hang like memtb and HARPERC 😆

N570, N565 wasn't around back then. Have plenty of both now. 92.5 grs. N570 with 215 Berger in my 28 in. Bartlien barrel is giving me 3215 fps . Very accurate. I don't know about 180's with it. Might be to slow burn.
Retumbo was the magic dust of its time ! I can remember looking far and wide for just a pound.

I don't recall the numbers on the first VV powders my Dad tried, had to be late 80's or the 90's?
The 5 series is definitely after the time I was talking about. But I'm sure thankful it came.

Last edited:
Retumbo was the magic dust of its time ! I can remember looking far and wide for just a pound.

I don't recall the numbers on the first VV powders my Dad tried, had to be late 80's or the 90's?
The 5 series is definitely before the time I was talking about. But I'm sure thankful it came.
I didn't become aware of VV powders until late 90's. I'm stocked up on Retumbo for life but just broke into my last RL26. An 8 pounder. Haven't seen for 5 years. My best loads in 300 wm. 6.5 PRC and 257 Weatherby. Pretty good with 180 in 300 Rum . I haven't even tried Retumbo in new RUM barrel. I want to with 180's and up. H1000 shot good but I'm sure RL26 and Retumbo would also and higher fps.
Goodnight 😴 shhhhsh. Memtb is sleeping. Don't wake him. He needs his beauty sleep. 😆

I shot same rifle same load for years. Backed down to 99.0 grs. and had CDS dial made for load. I didn't wait long to put magna brake on. It was somewhere between 1994 and 1996. Right after 300 RUM came out. Brakes were new also. Not sure if Magnaport's Magnabrake was first or not but I believed their 40% recoil reduction claim. Kicked like a 308 win. after. Going to bed brother's.
I can't hang like memtb and HARPERC 😆
Not trying to be a jack??? But rum came out in 1999.

Not trying to be a jack??? But rum came out in 1999.
Wow 99 it seem like it came out earlier for some reason. My first rum was/is a mod 70 classic ss. It kicked like a mule off the bench, fairly light weight with the tupper ware stock. I had Danny Peterson/Classic barrel rebarrel it with a little heavier contour 1 in 11 twist 28" tube and send it of to Jim Borden when he had rim rock stocks for a custom animal print camo stock. The gun shoots everything good sub 1 moa and nosler 180 accubond factory ammo in one hole if the shooter does their part.

N570, N565 wasn't around back then. Have plenty of both now. 92.5 grs. N570 with 215 Berger in my 28 in. Bartlien barrel is giving me 3215 fps . Very accurate. I don't know about 180's with it. Might be to slow burn.
Wow. That's smokin. I could only get to 91gr at 3062 FPS with a 27" barrel.

It did well with the 245s also, but only at 2832 FPS. Any higher and pockets get soft fast.

Shot the 181gr Hammer Hunter wiht 94gr N570 for 3340 FPS. 178 Absolutes were 97gr at 3347 FPS. These shot very well. I would imagine a little faster powder would do better with the 180 class.

Watch your round count and how fast you are shooting it. My barrel has started to go south at 700+ rounds on it with a steady diet of N570. Not as tight as it used to be, with a flier here and there.

Wow 99 it seem like it came out earlier for some reason. My first rum was/is a mod 70 classic ss. It kicked like a mule off the bench, fairly light weight with the tupper ware stock. I had Danny Peterson/Classic barrel rebarrel it with a little heavier contour 1 in 11 twist 28" tube and send it of to Jim Borden when he had rim rock stocks for a custom animal print camo stock. The gun shoots everything good sub 1 moa and nosler 180 accubond factory ammo in one hole if the shooter does their part.

The 'smith that built my rifle in '90, made several 30-404 Jeffery's, not certain about the shoulder angle, years before Remington brought out the "Ultra Mag" series. I thought that is was near identical…..but didn't have the "rebated" rim.

I actually thought about getting one…..thought it would be a nice "small-bore" cartridge! 😜 memtb

Since I got all you RUM pirates in one place, what kinda round count were/are you getting on those barrels? I had heard the barrels burn out pretty fast and I decided to go the 300 WM because of it. Was I lied to? Misled? Does the gubermint have a gun owner list? Was Jack Ruby actually Russian?

Now I'm questioning reality...

Since I got all you RUM pirates in one place, what kinda round count were/are you getting on those barrels? I had heard the barrels burn out pretty fast and I decided to go the 300 WM because of it. Was I lied to? Misled? Does the gubermint have a gun owner list? Was Jack Ruby actually Russian?

Now I'm questioning reality...

You will have a lot of questions my friend……most will go unanswered! 😂 memtb