300 PRC Hunting Build

Codyd336

For our Montana elk trip this year I'm looking to build a custom light weight set up without breaking the bank. I have a donor rem 700 7mm rem mag that I plan on using the bolt and action from. My thoughts are pairing it with a Manners EH1 stock, m5 mini chassis, proof 24" .308 blank, and already have a Timney 510 in the safe. I plan on having a local gunsmith do the work but wanted some thoughts on what other parts I may need to look into. I do like the idea of being able to swap barrels. Any help would be appreciated.

Get a kelbly atlas lite right now at altus for $799.

Straight jacket armory is running a sale today for $100 off prefits. Get a steel 3b for $670 total

Screw them together and forget the smith

Sell your rem 700 and save yourself money in the long run
Yeah I'm getting the feeling I should've bought a quality action instead of the donor. I will only have $375 in the donor but sounds like the labor costs will eat up the savings. As for the barrel I do like the idea of carbon for the look and weight savings since my current set up is a Remington Sendero 300 wm with stainless fluted barrel.

Yeah I should've made my post before buying that donor. Looks like quite a few options for custom actions so I'll do some looking. I did notice benchmark doesn't offer a pre fit carbon barrel.

After doing some research blue mountain precision also cuts them into pre fits so looks like I could get a custom action and pre fit barrel in short notice. The manners eh1 stock seems like its going to be the hardest to get my hands on due to build times. What's everyone's thoughts on mini chasis vs pillar bedded?

After doing some research blue mountain precision also cuts them into pre fits so looks like I could get a custom action and pre fit barrel in short notice. The manners eh1 stock seems like its going to be the hardest to get my hands on due to build times. What's everyone's thoughts on mini chasis vs pillar bedded?
Pro hunter or LRH are good. Mini chassis is good

Altus has pro hunters you buy you get hawkins htr bottom metal.... no magazine included

Last edited:
Pro hunter or LRH are good. Mini chassis is good

Altus has pro hunters you buy you get hawkins htr bottom metal.... no magazine included
Not a fan of the eh1 or is the pro hunter phasing it out? If I plan on running 245 gr or so would that Hawkins dbm work? I've read about oil issues and mag box sizes for the 300 prc.

Pro hunter is avaliable... and price is decent with bottom metal

Magazine length is 3.770 which should be good with 245.

300 prc with 215 and aw2 reamer or saami reamer is 3.72 to lands

Or if you never want to ever worry get the unknownmunitions.com bottom metal. Allows longer length

For trigger I'm a snob and I prefer the trigger tech diamond over the special. Allows lower pull weight.

Atlas lite 800
Pro hunter with chassis 1100
Bottom metal free
Magazine 100
Barrel- steel 670
Trigger 300

That's 2900

You can possibly find a cheaper stock and cheaper trigger to maybe get it down to 2500..

Then you just need to borrow a buddies vice and screw it on.

I've got an EH1 stock sitting on the shelf that isn't spoken for. It's painted black, has a 3B barrel contour, and is inlet for bdl bottom metal. Barrel channel could be opened up easily by your smith depending on which way you go with your barrel. I could open up the bottom metal inlet to M5 if you wanting to go that way otherwise yo can just use Hawkins bottom metal with a Wyatts extended internal mag box. I've built them both ways with internal mag boxes and detachable magazines and they will feed fine both ways. $625 shipped for the stock if you want it. Probably would have to add some to that if I had to open up the bottom metal inlet to M5.

Recent Posts