300 PRC Hammer 199 Retumbo/N565

Recon$$

Not looking to beat a dead horse but good old google didn't have much for me.

I'm screwing around with these two powders and 212 ELDX. I think I found a 1/2 MOA load but I just ordered 50 199 gr HH. I'm going to give them a try before I settle on a load.

I have N565 and Retumbo, anyone got pointers, experience etc.. with this combo? I got h1000 but like 1/2 pound so for the time being its basically out.

Rifle is a 300 PRC 24" 1:9

Thanks

Either will work. Use whichever you have more of.

Start at 75gr and go up in one grain increments.

Try shoot it at a longer distance. I like over 400.

Stop when you reach bright ejector marks.

Look at ladder and you will see a node or two.

My 26 inch 9 twist likes them just over 3100fps with RL 26 and N570.

Post your results and we will help you out.

That bullet is a killer.

I will post some results when I get my hands on them. I usually start. 01 off the lands and don't touch seating till I find the velocity node. I know a few on here claim seating isn't a big deal with these guys, what's yours experience there? I'm looking to figure these out hopefully in 1 range session.

Last edited:
Well, I shot a a short ladder test between 74 gr 76 of N565 and all my groups were between 1" to 1.5". I loaded them .01 off the lands. No groups that gave me any hope, little disappointing. I setup a ladder test with retumbo but I got alot of pressure into the second group and a 2" spread so I just canned that ladder test. I'll have to start lower if I revise that. All under book maximum.

I've never loaded for the 300 PRC but you last post left me wondering if 1 gr. increments maybe let ya miss a node.
Retumbo might need a heavier bullet too

All the guys loading for the 30 Sherman Mag(300 PRC improved) seem to love R26 and VV570
I used to have a 300WM and it loved Retumbo and 200 gr Noslers, I used H1000 for the 165's

Retumbo out shot 570 in mine with the lighter bullets like the 195 BL BDII's. I know it's a different bullet. But very close

H1000 pressured out before the other two. Mines also a 30 SM