300 BO, 6.5 G, or 6 ARC?

300 BO. I absolutely love this cartridge and Not in suppressed version. Can't have those in NJ. I've been loading this for the last few months and am enjoying it tremendously. Man I love this cartridge. Did I say that before. Just something about it. Love it.

110 gr whatever at 2480
125 at 2250. Still working on this load.
So will see where it goes

This should have no problems taking care of. Any ummm. INVADER :)

BEST OF LUCK.
LONG LIVE THE 300 BO

Might have to put more rounds through the Grendel. Initial testing shows some great potential. Only rounds fired through barrel are the ones on target,

20200710_170754.jpg
20210113_184542.jpg

In the OP, what I had meant by "550+ range" is the size of the bear, not the max distance to target. I had written that shots would be no more than 75 yards. They are generally closer than 50 yards, because outside of that distance we tend to fire a warning shot to discourage any further encroachment on the pens. With bears, this works most of the time.

I've made the decision to go with the Grendel. My AR10 is in .260 Rem, and I shoot a lot of 6.5x55, so have plenty of different 6.5 projectiles on hand. It's not a matter of switching between different projectiles for this particular rifle; my wife isn't going to ID the predator and then choose the appropriate ammo, nor does she want to think about selecting between different rifles; she wants to shoulder a dedicated rifle and go, and it will be a one-size-fits-all projectile. Likely, it will be a 120 TSX. I'm not a fan of pass-through shots, particularly because I want to be able to verify that the critter is down for the count, and I have been using Barnes for years to do this. It's usually one and done. In the .260 and the 6.5x55, I exclusively use the 127 LRX. Hasn't failed me yet.

Reloading my own ammo is an absolute requisite, which was the issue holding me back from the Grendel initially (due to lack of available brass). I'll just keep looking. I use a lot of Starline; perhaps they'll have it back in stock sooner than later.

Just for reference, the AR10 is too large for her to shoulder and get her eye behind the glass, hence modifying the existing AR15 for this purpose. It's the perfect LOP for her. The next step will be getting the barrel and bolt head on order. Remarkably, we've had relatively little predator activity so far this winter (if you can call it "winter"; I've counted at least ten days in which tree frogs have been peeping between Jan 1 and now, and normally we're averaging 25 - 40°F daytime highs; they don't generally become active until the temps are mid-60's).
The Grendel AR is an absolutely perfect rifle for small framed people or kids that are starting out hunting. I have
In the OP, what I had meant by "550+ range" is the size of the bear, not the max distance to target. I had written that shots would be no more than 75 yards. They are generally closer than 50 yards, because outside of that distance we tend to fire a warning shot to discourage any further encroachment on the pens. With bears, this works most of the time.

I've made the decision to go with the Grendel. My AR10 is in .260 Rem, and I shoot a lot of 6.5x55, so have plenty of different 6.5 projectiles on hand. It's not a matter of switching between different projectiles for this particular rifle; my wife isn't going to ID the predator and then choose the appropriate ammo, nor does she want to think about selecting between different rifles; she wants to shoulder a dedicated rifle and go, and it will be a one-size-fits-all projectile. Likely, it will be a 120 TSX. I'm not a fan of pass-through shots, particularly because I want to be able to verify that the critter is down for the count, and I have been using Barnes for years to do this. It's usually one and done. In the .260 and the 6.5x55, I exclusively use the 127 LRX. Hasn't failed me yet.

Reloading my own ammo is an absolute requisite, which was the issue holding me back from the Grendel initially (due to lack of available brass). I'll just keep looking. I use a lot of Starline; perhaps they'll have it back in stock sooner than later.

Just for reference, the AR10 is too large for her to shoulder and get her eye behind the glass, hence modifying the existing AR15 for this purpose. It's the perfect LOP for her. The next step will be getting the barrel and bolt head on order. Remarkably, we've had relatively little predator activity so far this winter (if you can call it "winter"; I've counted at least ten days in which tree frogs have been peeping between Jan 1 and now, and normally we're averaging 25 - 40°F daytime highs; they don't generally become active until the temps are mid-60's).
The Grendel AR s perfect for small framed folks and kids starting out hunting. And a rifle they can use their whole life. The adjustable length of pull and light recoil make it very easy for them to shoot. I've built several for hunters with kids and they all love them. Just make sure to use a good quality trigger. The standard AR trigger is a joke. For the money Larue is very good. I use Geisslee match triggers if money isn't a concern. I have a lightweight 308 AR but I find myself with the Grendel 99% of the time.

Might have to put more rounds through the Grendel. Initial testing shows some great potential. Only rounds fired through barrel are the ones on target,

View attachment 498292View attachment 498293
Nothing wrong with that. My magic dust is AR Comp. I've never shot a Grendel with 27.7 grains of it and a 123 grain bullet that didn't do well.

Any 6.5G user ever loaded 107 TMK at warp speed? I've killed TX WT with 77 TMK coming out at 2750. I figure the 107 in a Grendel could be knocking on this 223 velocity if pushed. With that extra weight at that velocity it will be a WT killer.

I have some 107s, I might dig out the Grendel and play again.

Any 6.5G user ever loaded 107 TMK at warp speed? I've killed TX WT with 77 TMK coming out at 2750. I figure the 107 in a Grendel could be knocking on this 223 velocity if pushed. With that extra weight at that velocity it will be a WT killer.

I have some 107s, I might dig out the Grendel and play again.
Some of these boys here around the house do for hogs with good results. I'm sure that would do well on deer. I may try it next depredation season though I've always done well with 123 eldm's

These cartridges aren't anything like each other:

300 BLK subs are basically a 45 ACP round with a much higher BC that gives 45 ACP velocity for several hundred yards. Supers are basically 7.62x39, (7.62x39 is a terrible choice for this application due to bolt lugs failing. Super fun gun but not something you want your life to depend on) which gets you out to maybe 400 yds. Realistically subs are a 0-100 yd cartridge, and supers are a 0-250 yd cartridge. You can hit targets well beyond those distances, but as far as a reliably consistent engagement distance, that's what you've got.

6.5 Grendel is ballistically excellent, but the mags/lugs have issues.
6 ARC is ballistically excellent, but the mags/lugs have issues.

Either of these cartridges will have lots of energy, and are a lot of fun for shooting extended distances, but they have their own issues. Sons of Liberty Gunwerks just got behind a new cartridge that they're supporting called 6mm Maxx. Basically it's a 350 Legend parent case (regular 5.56 bolt face) shooting 6mm bullets with a lot of powder behind them. The only problem for the 6Maxx is that you can't load longer bullets in it.

Since your engagement distance is extremely short, the 300 blk probably makes the most sense.

I tune every 6.5 Grendel magazine I get straight out of the box. In just a couple of minutes you can cut way down on or completely eliminate feeding issues. Most of the issues are due to the feed lips. I'll also do light polishing on the feed ramps if needed. I usually use Dura Mag 10s. I have recently been using their curved 20 round mags with very good success. Their curved 20 is roughly the same length as the Elander 17.

I have ARs in 6.5 Grendel and 300BO and I bought a little bolt action 6ARC for
my 9yo Grandson for deer, hogs & coyotes. I reload for all three. Shooting 120gr Gold Dots and 123gr SSTs or even ELDs the Grendel is my favorite Go-to gun for night hunting hogs and coyotes and i'll take it to the blind deer hunting if i see signs that hogs have been coming in before shooting light.

Component availability is only a problem with the 6mm ARC. Currently, only Hornady is making brass and all of it is going into ammo. My LGS had a case of ELD-Ms so I bought 5 boxes. BTW Hornady match bullets kill like poison so no need to waste them for the brass. As for case life expect the ARC will perform like the Grendel, ARs can be rough on brass. However, Stay a bit below max and your brass should last awhile. Of the 3 the Grendel will be the leader for energy and penetration but at short range all would work. I'd still feel under-gunned facing a 500+ pound bear and I think I'd just go buy a Ruger SFAR which is a hard hitting 308 on a AR15 sized frame.
Let me add one more cartridge to your list for consideration. Wilson Combats 300 HAM'R It's like a 300 BO Magnum. it's 250fps faster that the BO and pretty close to 30/30 power.

Lm
Never.

If you remove the seating stem check and see where it's hitting on the bullet/tip while seating, is it sitting on the tip? Or is the tip contacting the inside of the stem? Might have to either get a different stem that sits lower on the meplat, or drill the stem deeper depending.

I mainly use Hornady dies for lower-precision things like my 300 BO AR loads. I have had to change stems out to other calibers depending on the bullet being used - IIRC it was a really long Makers with a round nose I used a 338 stem with?
Druid Hill armory
IMG_6024.png

Well, 6.5 Grendel is a bigger 6 ARC (for all practical purposes) so I'd rule out the 6 ARC.

300 BO shines with subs, so if you have a can, or are getting one, that's a great round.

7.62x39? Eh. I guess it's fine, but I'd only use reloads.

But, given your description of circumstances, that 6.5 Grendel is a fantastic round. I have killed Antelope, Aoudad, deer and pigs without issue. Brass is available if you look around. Go Grendel.

6.5 grendel. Start line brass is normally available. Been very consistent for me. 90 % within 3 grains of weight. 85 grain Hammer and 120 sierra TGK both were sub MOA easily. Without doing much load testing. Plan on doing more in spring. 85 took 3 deer none going past 70 yards from shot. AA2460 was the power I used.

Recent Posts